Trying to create scar effect on face with color

mclenny

Hi everybody!

I'm a relatively young designer, and I'm running into a bit of a wall on an effect I'm trying to create at the moment.

I'm wanting to create a look that will resemble a scar on one's face with color. I want to use a mosaic of gel as compared to just one color. Any suggestions on how to do this, and it register instead of muddle together?

The problem I see upfront is having the scar move with the actor. Your best shot is to do this with makeup.

If you were looking to do a shadow effect, try putting instruments at odd angles, and then hard shuttering them.

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

I've never tried this and I have no idea if it would work but do you have access to any UV lighting? There are substances (some inks, makeup, and oddly enough, toothpaste) that are basically invisible under normal lighting but show up under UV. (think of the hand stamp stamp you get when you want to leave an event you paid to get into but come back later) You could essentially paint an invisible scar on your actor and make it magically appear by adding UV. Only an experiment would tell you what the right ratio of UV to conventional light it would take. I've got some LEDs that have UV built into them so it's possible to mix UV into other colors. Perhaps if the UV came from the front and the rest of the stage was lit in dim down or even back light? Surely the stage would have to be pretty dim to make this work and that may not be the look you're going for. Also, it's possible that the UV would make the costume(s) and or set look odd. I'd love to hear how you solve this so keep us updated!

To the OP: did you want create a look on the STAGE that resembled a scar, or actually put a scar on someone?

Sent from Taptalk for Android, this was.

I want to use a mosaic of gel as compared to just one color. Any suggestions on how to do this, and it register instead of muddle together?

To tackle this part of the question - multiple gels in the color frame will generally meld together. Some cool effects can be achieved using split gels, but it is no where near precise or focused enough to achieve the effect you're looking for.

To get a hard projection of multiple colors, the media would have to be in the gobo or accessory slot which is located just in front of the shutters. Gel will not survive there, so you'd have to go with something like dichroics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back