Tuning A System

Greeting Control Booth,

My question is pretty simple, how do you "tune" a system.

Now, I understand that this should be left to the professionals, however, I am always looking to expand my knowledge and any bit of information is helpful.

Basically I am looking for equipment and techniques used, and any tips.

Thanks in advance!

My question is pretty simple, how do you "tune" a system.
There really is no simple answer to this. Tuning a system could involve speaker placement, speaker delay, EQ, and more. It all depends on the level of complexity of the system, and what equipment you have to work with. Real-Time Analyzers such as SMAART can be used to make a system flat, but often you need to use your ear to really decide what sounds good.

There really is no simple answer to this. Tuning a system could involve speaker placement, speaker delay, EQ, and more. It all depends on the level of complexity of the system, and what equipment you have to work with. Real-Time Analyzers such as SMAART can be used to make a system flat, but often you need to use your ear to really decide what sounds good.
A good synopsis, but a couple of details are that SMAART (or SysTune, Praxis, EASERA, etc.) is capable of much greater analysis than a real time analyzer or RTA, especially in that these analysis methods allow you to consider time while an RTA is 'time blind' analysis. They are also not limited to creating a flat response, they can be used to analyze many aspects of a system and to adjust it to any desired response. You are correct that these are tools, they can assist greatly in understanding why you are hearing what you hear and to point to potential issues but in the end your ears are the analyzer that really matters.

I view it that in general tuning consists of three basic elements: knowing what to listen for, being able to use the tools available effectively and understanding what solutions to apply when. You really need all three components in order to develop effective solutions. Probably the best example is that something like Smaart will show you what you have but it will will not tell you what sounds 'good' or how to get there, those involve the other two components. Similarly, one can know where they want to end up and have a good understanding of how things work, but may not effectively get to the desired result without being able to put the tools available to good use. That is one reason why it is not so simple, even if you learn how to use the tools you are only part way to doing anything useful with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back