Control/Dimming Turning Lights On and Off in the Same Cue

How might I go about turning lights on and off automatically in an individual cue? I know how to delay lights from coming on at the same time as the rest of the cue, but I do not know how to turn them back off in the same cue. (PaletteOS V 10.8.6)

How might I go about turning lights on and off automatically in an individual cue? I know how to delay lights from coming on at the same time as the rest of the cue, but I do not know how to turn them back off in the same cue. (PaletteOS V 10.8.6)
You could write a custom profile like this for example. This is one I've used to toggle solenoid operated pneumatic and / or water jet valves in dancing fountain control systems.
For illustration, let's say I want to turn something fully on for ten seconds.
Time zero = output zero.
Time 0.1 = output full 100%
Time 9.9 = output full 100%
Time 10 = output zero.
When you run the cue, the device's on time = the run time of the cue.
One cue turns it on AND turns it off.
This way you don't have to remember to write a second cue every time to turn things off again.
If you're controlling a large dancing fountain for example, it may take 15 minutes for the compressors to replenish the pressurized air tanks to full capacity between performances and not running out of air pressure is key to running a successful performance. If you were to mistakenly leave even one pneumatic valve open, it could rapidly deplete your air supply in short order.
I can't take credit for this On/Off profile. It came out of the mouth of Rob Bell in a brief face to face meeting I was fortunate enough to have with the man. Rob Bell's good people. There! I've said it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Please let me do a better job of explaining this, I know I can at least do better than my first attempt.
Reiterating the goal: The goal is to turn a channel, or channels, on AND off again within the same cue avoiding a need to have to write an additional "off cue" after each time you turn something on.
Personally I've found this following method EXTREMELY useful controlling solenoid operated pneumatic and water valves in a 'dancing waters' synchronized sound, light and water control system.
Write a custom profile as follows:
When the console commands the channel to a level of zero, have the profile output a level of zero %.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 1%, have the profile output a level of 100%.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 99%, have the profile output a level of 100%.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 100%, have the profile snap the output level back down to zero%.
Thus when the console is sending off / zero %, the device under control is off.
When the console is sending full / 100 %, the device under control is still off, or off again if you prefer to think of it that way.
When the console is sending any level between 1% and 99%, the device under control is fully on; in the case of solenoid valves, fully open. A profile like this cleanly snaps solenoid valves, or any relay / contactors, ON and / or OFF without any 'hummy / buzzy vibrations as the control channel ramps up and / or down.
The only minor mind-meld to wrap your head around when scanning the console's output screen is whether the channel's output is showing zero or full, the channel is still off in either case. Thus when you first cue the device, you set it to a level of 100% while the next time you cue the device you need to set it to a level of zero %. You need to keep in mind the device under control is off whether it is being commanded to zero or full.
The beauties of this profile are:
a; The run time of the cue = the activated time of the device.
b; You don't have to remember to keep going back and turning the device off.
c; You're writing fewer cues.
d; If you're editing a cue stack, there's only one cue per activation. If you need to add one more activation, you add one more cue. If you need to eliminate an activation, you only need to delete one cue.

While I'm writing of 'cute cueing-isms', let me sneak in one more; the one step chase:
You have a channel you need to blink on and off repeatedly.
Sure, you could write a normal chase with a step to turn it on and a second step to turn it off.
OR
You could write a one step chase and accomplish the same thing in fewer key strokes / less time.
For example, let's say I want to turn something on for five seconds, return it to off for three seconds and turn it on again ad infinitum.
Adjust your syntax to suit.
Step time: 10 seconds.
Ramp up: 1 second.
Dwell: 5 seconds.
Ramp down: 1 second.
3 seconds later, the step ends and repeats turning the device on again.
My 1 second ramp times are just to make it easier / gentler for a lamp filament, possibly extending its life expectancy.
If you need things a little quicker / aren't feeling kindly towards your cold lamps, reduce the ramp times to 0.1's or zeros.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Please let me do a better job of explaining this, I know I can at least do better than my first attempt.
Reiterating the goal: The goal is to turn a channel, or channels, on AND off again within the same cue avoiding a need to have to write an additional "off cue" after each time you turn something on.
Personally I've found this following method EXTREMELY useful controlling solenoid operated pneumatic and water valves in a 'dancing waters' synchronized sound, light and water control system.
Write a custom profile as follows:
When the console commands the channel to a level of zero, have the profile output a level of zero %.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 1%, have the profile output a level of 100%.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 99%, have the profile output a level of 100%.
When the console commands the channel to a level of 100%, have the profile snap the output level back down to zero%.
Thus when the console is sending off / zero %, the device under control is off.
When the console is sending full / 100 %, the device under control is still off, or off again if you prefer to think of it that way.
When the console is sending any level between 1% and 99%, the device under control is fully on; in the case of solenoid valves, fully open. A profile like this cleanly snaps solenoid valves, or any relay / contactors, ON and / or OFF without any 'hummy / buzzy vibrations as the control channel ramps up and / or down.
The only minor mind-meld to wrap your head around when scanning the console's output screen is whether the channel's output is showing zero or full, the channel is still off in either case. Thus when you first cue the device, you set it to a level of 100% while the next time you cue the device you need to set it to a level of zero %. You need to keep in mind the device under control is off whether it is being commanded to zero or full.
The beauties of this profile are:
a; The run time of the cue = the activated time of the device.
b; You don't have to remember to keep going back and turning the device off.
c; You're writing fewer cues.
d; If you're editing a cue stack, there's only one cue per activation. If you need to add one more activation, you add one more cue. If you need to eliminate an activation, you only need to delete one cue.

While I'm writing of 'cute cueing-isms', let me sneak in one more; the one step chase:
You have a channel you need to blink on and off repeatedly.
Sure, you could write a normal chase with a step to turn it on and a second step to turn it off.
OR
You could write a one step chase and accomplish the same thing in fewer key strokes / less time.
For example, let's say I want to turn something on for five seconds, return it to off for three seconds and turn it on again ad infinitum.
Adjust your syntax to suit.
Step time: 10 seconds.
Ramp up: 1 second.
Dwell: 5 seconds.
Ramp down: 1 second.
3 seconds later, the step ends and repeats turning the device on again.
My 1 second ramp times are just to make it easier / gentler for a lamp filament, possibly extending its life expectancy.
If you need things a little quicker / aren't feeling kindly towards your cold lamps, reduce the ramp times to 0.1's or zeros.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

That worked excellently! Thanks for the help!

@RonHebbard: What do you do if you use a channel multiple times during a show? After the first activation, the channel will be at 100%. For the second cue, you would probably fading back to 0%, for the third to 100% and so on. But once you have to insert an activation between two other activation cues, you would have to edit all the following cues, because they will be out of sequence.

@RonHebbard: What do you do if you use a channel multiple times during a show? After the first activation, the channel will be at 100%. For the second cue, you would probably fading back to 0%, for the third to 100% and so on. But once you have to insert an activation between two other activation cues, you would have to edit all the following cues, because they will be out of sequence.
Agreed. I erred in my writing and you've caught me.
Do you have a solution to offer? If so, please do.
As the run time of the cue = the activation time of the device, possibly I'd add an additional cue with a duration of 0.1 second and try to place it somewhere where it would go unnoticed.
Tag! Your turn.
The On / Off profile's not a trick most people need everyday. it's just one more useful tool to keep in the back of the bottom drawer of your programming toolbox for those rare times when it's the right answer. I trust you haven't lost too much sleep over this. I'll return all the money I've made passing it along.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back