Unbreakable plates?

curyusgrg

I need to make some glass plates completely unbreakable, but have them sound normal when dropped on the floor. Has anyone ever coated glass with Phlex-glue or rosco Crystalgel? Any ideas on another way?

I would NOT consider Corelle as a viable alternative. It can and does break, and when it does, it splinters into extremely sharp shards. I would use acrylic--the kind sold in the summer as outdoor or picnic dinnerware. When dropping a glass plate, especially onto a wood stage surface, if it doesn't break it doesn't make much of a sound anyway.
proxy.php

I agree with Derek, dropped glass on wood does tend to go,"thud" although sometimes it does have that sort of high pitched crystalline "ting" to it. I have, in the past, coated glass and ceramic pitchers with Rosco Crystal Gel. it works very well but it is not foolproof. the big advantage of using it is that is it does break all the pieces tend to clump together. Crystal Gel does also tend to kill some of the high pitched glass sound, however.

We have broken a lot of corelle already on this project. Pretty breakable stuff. This is actually for a dance piece so the marly dance floor brings out some of the glass sound. That's why no plastic. I also thought of fiberglass or epoxy resins, but I think it will start to sound just like plastic then. I'll keep pluggin. Thanks.

Lexan plates or something like that? Maybe graft a piece of glass onto a plastic plate of some sort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back