Underaged Volunteers, Rules and/or Guidelines

When I was in school, predirt, we had shop classes where you learned power tools in 8th grade, this included lathes, table saws and drill presses. In HS I did all phases of the tech, set building, lights and sound. The only time I got in trouble was for cutting class to work in the theatre, not what I was doing when I got there.
As mentioned, the biggest problem with kids doing dangerous tasks is only slghtly different than any other person learning a trade, they don't fully appreciate all the variables involved. At least with an adult they may have more life experience to speed the training. Of course, sometimes the opposite is true.
The other problem with school settings is many try to remove any danger from everything. I am a two sport official and I see this problem in sports just like in theatre. You can't wrap kids and bubblewrap and completely protect them, they have to make mistakes to learn.

I did take a shop class in 8th and 9th grade and did learn how to use power tools such as bandsaws, drill press, radial arm saw, etc.

And off mstaylor, the "Bubblewrap Generation" is trying to get protected from everthing. But earlier generations had lead paint and pipe solder, no seatbelts, and more. Have to wonder how they survived.

Among the rules in place here are volunteer waivers which must be filled out by a parent or guardian if the individual is under 18 and a list of equipment they are not allowed to operate and a secondary list of equipment they can operate after proper training and with supervision.

Something I've learned is that a "volunteer waiver" is never truly a waiver. If something goes wrong, it will still get back to you, no matter what piece of paper you wave at the lawyers. Nothing can beat good supvervision of underage volunteers (or anyone, for that matter!) Although the waiver as a contract is a great idea - points out to parents and students what they can and can't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back