Unexpected Lamp Failure

LavaASU

So had a Xenon lamp fail at around 600 hours. It was working great right before it refused to strike (not the projector, new lamp works fine, this lamp doesn't work in any projector). Only change was the lamp module being removed and replaced as part of routine maintenance (yes, it was handled properly). We usually have these work fine to 1000 hours or more (if the light output is acceptable).

Anyone see any abnormalities with it that would explain this?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66985900/barco failed lamp 2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66985900/barco failed lamp 1.jpg

Last edited:
You mean besides the fact that you opened the lamp housing that the manual tells you specifically not to open?

CAUTION: Never attempt to disassemble the lamp from its housing or to dispose of it. Return it to Barco.
Due to its high internal pressure, the lamp may explode in either hot or cold states if improperly handled.

Barco's warranty info leads me to believe that they'll replace, in factory, lamps that fail before 750 hours. I'd send it back and not worry about it. That's what spares are for.

That lamp won't get replaced under warranty due to some other circumstances I'm not going to go into on here. We had reason to believe that the issue could be the housing, not lamp, so yes, I did take it apart (using Barco's instructions) for inspection. The housing was fine, so the issue did turn out to be the lamp. However, I am trained to handle bare xenon lamps.

I probably should have mentioned, kids do NOT try this at home. They are not kidding when they say that these are the equivalent of a small grenade if handled wrong.

Last edited:
I am trained to handle bare xenon lamps.

I probably should have mentioned, kids do NOT try this at home. They are not kidding when they say that these are the equivalent of a small grenade if handled wrong.

Hand grenades are exactly right:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The first thing I notice is that there is very minimal deposits on the anode and that the cathode is deformed. Also, there is no way to know if you somehow lost pressure in the lamp. I have heard of this happening, especially when inserting the housing into the projector on older projectors where you sometimes have to use more force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back