Vintage Lighting Updating New Century Lights

gmff

I have a venue with a limited budget (no surprise there) that has 4 New Century lights. These way old things have no strain relief or romex connector where the cord goes through the cap. This looks dangerous, I need to fix this. The problem is that the hole is 3/8" I can not find a romex connector that is 3/8" just 1/2" are available. Drilling these out does not seem to be an option as this would be right where the light socket plate is (yeah 1/16th of an inch). Has any one fixed these and would care to tell me how to do that?
Thanks!!

I'm currently working on a Century #1590 leko (page 151 of the Photometrics Handbook II) that I'm fabricating most of the parts to. Is this the same 1947-1963 fixture you are talking about?

Confused about the "New Century Lights" in possibly another company but possibly describing what's on my work table possibly otherwise. I have a #1590 on my work table.

Contact me off line and I will give you my address. I will service, re-wire and furnish all parts and properly ground them for you if send them to me. At a bit of a conundrum about my own fixture I'm servicing in how it's done. I have a photo and even how a Leko works exploded pictorial of this fixture - but neither are specific enough.

Provide me a real fixture or even one to get me closer than my #1560 cap in how it was done, and sure I'll do it for free the upgrade to your fixtures. I assume we are talking about the same fixture type as hoped and possible. Othewise what I can gain in info for your cap, might be useful still for me and for that, sure, a bit of wire and terminals and work.

Say send one fixture and all the caps in saving shipping money. Fixture I'll work on but the rest I'll give directions for doing. Also missing other than the snout of the lens train itself for the fixture I'm working on so that would help too - as with bench focusing the caps.

After the first fixture done, can teach how to service the other fixtures in teaching how to fish instead of providing the fish.

Hoping you havea #1590, but otherwise that it's cap can help me figure out further the fixture I have on my bench top that's missing parts.

I have a venue with a limited budget (no surprise there) that has 4 New Century lights. These way old things...
No manufacturer that I know of called "New Century."
If it says "Century" but no "Strand" anywhere, it's from 1932-1969.
"Century Strand" from 1969-1976. (Maybe some exceptions for the #23xx-series, diecast aluminum, below.)
"Strand Century" from 1976-1989.
"Strand" from 1989-present in the US, and in the UK from 1915 (Strand Electric) to 2008-ish (Strand Lighting), and world-wide 2010-present.

See this post for pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back