Control/Dimming Upgrading old/outdated control and dimming

I've been tasked with upgrading the lighting control at a church in San Diego, and I've never seen their protocol before. It's a Prescolite system that was apparently installed in 1993.

The controller is a "Series 7" by Prescolite that can handle up to 12 channels, and the dimmer has no labeling other than "prescolite controls and dimming", and their address. They lost all the paperwork on the dimming enclosure, and all i have is the quick-start manual for the controller. The wiring consists 8 individual wires, and they're labeled:
1) Strobe
2) ADR D
3) ADR C
4) ADR B
5) ADR A
6) Data
7) DC Com.
8) +15VDC (1.3VA)
These outputs are indicated to go to a "Demultiplexer MPMX, ATS Enclosure, or HD Enclosure".

There is also 6 pins of connection to a remote preset keypad, labled A, B, C, D, something unreadible, and +15VDC

Nowhere on google is there mention of "ADR" assosiated with prescolite, and the only documentation I can find on any of this is the patent for the controller, Panel for controlling lighting scene - Google Patent Search

If anyone has any information on this, how I could control the attatched dimming cabinet via DMX, or where to find additional documentation, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Looking at the patent and the wiring description, it sounds like the demux takes in 4 digital address lines and clocks in an analog value from the Data line. I would guess that the demux then provides discrete analog values directly to the dimmers themselves. So there's a reasonable chance that you could simply replace the existing demux with a DMX to Analog converter, provided you can match the voltage range the dimmers expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back