Control/Dimming USB keys on ETC Element

How do you mean "hot keys"? If you're referring to X-Keys, then yes the Element will support them. The X-Keys (or for that matter, more than likely any programmable keyboard) need to be in a memory-resident or hardware only mode, where no additional software is required, but otherwise, as long as the keys are programmed on the keyboard with the shortcuts you want, it is certainly possible. Information and sample layouts for the X-Keys variety of devices can be found on our website here: Lighting solutions for Theatre, Film & Television Studios and Architectural spaces : ETC

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no Ted! What are you doing with an element!?

Boardwalk Empire has a new vendor this year - Cinemagic. They have provided 100% brand new gear, including a 40' Trailor and 2 tractors with 1800 amp Plants for the show. Every piece of cable, distro and lighting is right out of the box. (machine coiled cable....Boooooo). This includes the console we keep on the truck - a 40/500 Element. Actually....its perfect for our remote locations. My first time on one and the lack of hard macro keys (and direct selects) is most frustrating. Must add my own.

So during hiatus (or not) you are ripping out the entire rig and swapping for new stuff ?.

And that's saving money how ?. The labor costs would seemingly eat up any savings in equipment rentals.

Not that has anything at all to do with your OP.

And I have no clue if an x-keys works with an Element, but I'd be calling ETC on Monday to verify, seeing as how they never responded to the post on the ETC Connect site.

So during hiatus (or not) you are ripping out the entire rig and swapping for new stuff ?.

And that's saving money how ?. The labor costs would seemingly eat up any savings in equipment rentals.

Not that has anything at all to do with your OP.

And I have no clue if an x-keys works with an Element, but I'd be calling ETC on Monday to verify, seeing as how they never responded to the post on the ETC Connect site.

Ahh, no. Only the location package vendor was changed. It used to be Paramount Lighting, now its these new guys. The stage work still is done at Stiener studios and that hasn't changed. Stiener (like all studios) has their own lighting and they charge dearly for it. They will not allow outside vendors in with out putting thier vig. on it.

Still it is pretty amazing to have a 100% brand new location package. We do about 80% of the shooting on location. 20% on stage. Lots of location dimming packages though - anything from 24 to 96 channels for practicals and fixtures in different locations. Gives me a chance to practice my console nesting skills

Hans did respond above. I was surprised as well that I got no reply on the forums. Oh well. That's why I like control booth!!!!

Ahh, no. Only the location package vendor was changed. It used to be Paramount Lighting, now its these new guys. The stage work still is done at Stiener studios and that hasn't changed. Stiener (like all studios) has their own lighting and they charge dearly for it. They will not allow outside vendors in with out putting thier vig. on it.

Still it is pretty amazing to have a 100% brand new location package. We do about 80% of the shooting on location. 20% on stage. Lots of location dimming packages though - anything from 24 to 96 channels for practicals and fixtures in different locations. Gives me a chance to practice my console nesting skills

Hans did respond above. I was surprised as well that I got no reply on the forums. Oh well. That's why I like control booth!!!!

Ahh, gotcha. That explains the genie's and why you're operating out of a 40 footer.

Few here on Control Booth have a control booth that's on wheels, so always an interesting perspective.

I suspect the ETC post, being late on Thurs., got missed on the Friday rush of posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back