Used Lumber Storage

gmff

We have had 4 shows over the last 4 weeks and I have a hugh amount of lumber (2x4, boards & plywood) left from each show. Most of it is on the floor now due to the time factor of build and strike, now I need to find a way of organizing and storing it. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what to do with all of this or what you do with lumber to store it. Thanks

I'm in the same boat and thinking of something like this Scale up or make multiple depending on your quantity of wood. Make using some of your scrap wood:

proxy.php

Plans here if needed: http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/055/roll-around-store-all.pdf

At the moment I'm in favor of discarding anything shorter than 2", with the exception of a couple of bins of 2x and 1x cutoffs that live by the chop-saw. We've got two big shelving units that are essentially 4' x 8' plywood shelves in a steel frame, 4 shelves each. IMO they suck, too deep to be useful, might build something like cubbies within each shelf.

In general I tried to keep dimensional wood together, 2x, 1x, and 'other' for lumber, grouped by size (<3', <4', <6', <8' or whatever makes sense for what you've got). With our 4' deep shelves, i'm limited on what I can slide straight in.

One thing we definitely try to do is keep new lumber separate from used. Use the used wood if you can, and always grab the shortest piece that will work is the general rule.

I built one set of bins for 1x4, 2x4, 4x4, 2x6, and 2x12 sheets. each section is 2'x2' and 18" tall. If the piece is shorter than the box, it gets thrown out. Piece won't fit in the box, shortest piece is removed and thrown out. I don't have a picture at the moment, but if you want I can take one.

For sheet storage I built this.
IMG_20140506_152128_016.jpg

My original plan was full sheets on the shelves and smaller pieces stored verticle. Hindsight being 20/20 I think what I need is two more shelves for the longer than 4' pieces so that I don't have to worry about them falling.

I like this thread. Some good ideas tossed around here.

Question for everyone. What do you do with stairs? Do you completely disassemble them? They're my biggest storage headache. But, it's not worth it for me to take them apart between shows.

Depends. I leave 2 5-stair units together. I use them often enough that it would be sill to take them apart.

I have 3 10-step units from. two years ago that I used again last year. I took the legs off of them, but found a spot to stack the main units and store the legs inside them. They take up so much space though that I will disassemble them if we don't need them next year.

We built a 45 foot wide, five step unit for a show this year. that got fully disassembled and the stringers and treads are being stored underneath my one of my lumber racks until I need them again.

We stack big pieces (sheets, lumber) on end in industrial racking. Small scraps go into a wheeled bin or in a heap under a workbench. When it gets too messy to manage it goes in a dumpster.
Smallish box-style stairs (1-5 tread) are stacked on industrial shelving. Longer runs (not boxes) are stored on end on the floor. We also have some metal risers that stack neatly, some assembly required to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back