Useless College Majors

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
From College Majors That Are Useless - Yahoo! Education :
Here's the good news: Sign up for theater as a major and at least you'll be really good at acting like you have a job.
Here's the bad news: Actors endure long periods of unemployment and frequent rejection, says the U.S. Department of Labor. The Department goes on to say that because earnings are erratic for actors, producers, and directors, many hold second jobs. In other words, how do you feel about waiting tables?
Of course, says Shatkin, "People go into this with such a love for it you can't stop them."

Obviously, EVERY college theatre major is an actor.:(

If there is one thing I've learned from both Glee and High School Musical, its that lighting rigs and audio reenforcement magically appear whenever someone starts singing.

Sounds more funny and maybe slightly more practical getting a theatre major than turfgrass management. I'm looking at colleges right now (engineering degree of some sort) and the degrees seem outlandish at times.

Obviously, EVERY college theatre major is an actor.:(

I'm not in college, but I have to act all the time. Act like I like the show, act like I am awake, act like the show is even slightly better than mediocre, the list goes on and on. Fun fact, the dictionary for iOS actually has a mediocre actor as an example for using the word correctly. lets see how many people are going to go check now...

Sounds more funny and maybe slightly more practical getting a theatre major than turfgrass management. I'm looking at colleges right now (engineering degree of some sort) and the degrees seem outlandish at times.

Except then you realize that turfgrass management is important for sports teams, golf courses, and park districts, and there are a lot of those. I know a guy who makes a very solid middle class living as a turf maintenance guy. His company does all kinds of grass projects and the like.

Another thing to note: The figures are all taken from 2008/2009, right when the recession was beginning. So how are the figures in any way relevant, especially when at least here we start to see growth in the industrial theater field, and the economy is slowly beginning to improve? Also, how did Horniculture come in at 5th when Theater came in at 3rd, with a 16% job growth prospect? I think the entire article is flawed, and totally ignores things like philosophy. Who hires philosophers? Oh wait, its viewing college as a trade school that takes 4 years to go to. But thats at best a flawed view of how college is supposed to work...

Also, how did Horniculture come in at 5th when Theater came in at 3rd, with a 16% job growth prospect? I think the entire article is flawed, and totally ignores things like philosophy. Who hires philosophers? Oh wait, its viewing college as a trade school that takes 4 years to go to. But thats at best a flawed view of how college is supposed to work...

I think a larger amount of people major in theatre, attempt to become an actor and fail, than those who major in philosophy with the goal of being a philosopher. Conventional teachings are that theatre degrees do not lead to a job, whereas liberal arts degrees will. So people who want to major in theatre but don't really want to go into it are dissuaded from doing that, skewing the results.

That said, they're viewing college as a 4 year trade school. Also, from my understanding, a lot of places don't care what sort of degree you have so long as you have a degree. But I'm a high school student so I'm probably not the ideal source on that one.

The theatre world is a unique animal. While it's true that a degree is nowhere even close to a guarantee of success in this industry, not having a degree is not even close to a guarantee of failure. In the 22 years, so far, that I've been in this industry, I've seen very talented people with highly specialized degrees leave the industry because they couldn't earn a living. At the same time, I've seen high school dropouts with very successful, 30+ year careers doing theatre. As I have said many a time before, there is no one size fits all, single path to success in the entertainment industry. Everyone's path is unique.

I have always though, having been in Engineering and a huge number of Liberal Arts classes, that Theater really is one of the best Liberal Arts degrees you can get, in terms of learning a lot of things. You need to understand something about History, Language, Art, Philosophy, Psychology, Engineering, Science, and many other things. How is that not A a liberal arts degree and B incredibly useful for things other than theater? In design class you learn to research things in a deeper manner than read a bunch of books about it. You develop the skills to emotionally connect with material that you dont know that much about. You learn how to deal with stress and deadlines, all while working with big personalities (both sides of the lights). In acting you learn about how to carry yourself, how to communicate and how to speak in front of people. You also learn to take direction. In tech you learn to apply things you have learned to a real problem, as well as how to work with your hands. Stage management is a crash course on running projects, and managing teams. How is that a "useless" degree? Actually kind of rankles me the more I think about it...

Conventional teachings are that theatre degrees do not lead to a job, whereas liberal arts degrees will. So people who want to major in theatre but don't really want to go into it are dissuaded from doing that, skewing the results.

My degree IS a liberal arts degree. BA in Theatre Arts. Yup.

Good sir, I beg to differ. My employer only thinks that what happened.

But I saw glee, and they have a huge and unique lighting rig every time they want to talk thru their emotional problems! It must be magic!

But I saw glee, and they have a huge and unique lighting rig every time they want to talk thru their emotional problems! It must be magic!

I tend to believe it is magic. Because everybody wants it to happen like that and some how most of the time I get it done in time. I'll be fine making the magic happen even though nobody knows that we're here doing it as long as the check writers remember me.

I tend to believe it is magic. Because everybody wants it to happen like that and some how most of the time I get it done in time. I'll be fine making the magic happen even though nobody knows that we're here doing it as long as the check writers remember me.

Im just gonna say this: If you go and express your emotions on a stage with 200 PAR EAs and 2 dozen MLs, I will gladly help it. However, dont expect your 200 PAR EAs to be set up differently and with a full gel/focus swap and twice the movers and some cool staging effects three hours later when its time to do your after school activities. I mean, it can be done, but having a few dozen hands in is gonna be expensive...

Im just gonna say this: If you go and express your emotions on a stage with 200 PAR EAs and 2 dozen MLs, I will gladly help it. However, dont expect your 200 PAR EAs to be set up differently and with a full gel/focus swap and twice the movers and some cool staging effects three hours later when its time to do your after school activities. I mean, it can be done, but having a few dozen hands in is gonna be expensive...

Although it occurs to me, they have a pianist who just seems to hang around and do nothing but wait for expression of self via song to occur, and he seems to randomly have the music for that song, so either hes just psychic, or the school has a team of psychologists ready to predict teenager's emotions, and they could probably then afford to have a crew of 30 standing by at any time to quick change the LX plot...

Although it occurs to me, they have a pianist who just seems to hang around and do nothing but wait for expression of self via song to occur, and he seems to randomly have the music for that song, so either hes just psychic, or the school has a team of psychologists ready to predict teenager's emotions, and they could probably then afford to have a crew of 30 standing by at any time to quick change the LX plot...

You may want to see [thread]24325[/thread]

Really though, teenagers have about 3 emotions.

"I don't always feel other emotions, but when I do...I break into song with a multi million dollar tech crew behind me"

Although it occurs to me, they have a pianist who just seems to hang around and do nothing but wait for expression of self via song to occur, and he seems to randomly have the music for that song.

I think the show is silly and fluff( just like some musicals) I'll watch every once in awhile just to see of they do any decent covers, but that guy is my favorite. It's already kind of unreal because we all know they wouldn't have the cues and set up for a random breakout song, so playing it up by having him and the band there awaiting their every need makes me laugh.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back