Design UV reactive paint

Mistermon

Good morning,

The producer of our production asked me today to find UV paint that is invisible under normal light (no big deal...) but that glows GOLD when exposed to UV light. I don't have a problem with the lighting of the paint, but does anyone know if there is such a gold paint? A search of the internet yielded no good results.

Anyone have any ideas? PLEASE!!

Thanks,
Rob

I don't believe you'll get a perfect gold, but you can pick up some paints from Wildfire of a few shades and mix them together to get something at least close.

6323-uv-reactive-paint-community-uv-halls.jpg

I just asked my lead painter, and unfortunately he says no gold. He said mixing lessens the 'Fluorescent Pop'...
He knows of no other suppliers either. This is Wildfire Yellow on the Community Blue set walls.

Attachments

• Community UV Halls.jpg
    Community UV Halls.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,189
Last edited:
Difficult task to get "Gold" out of UV paint. Here is an explanation of the why.

A. Gold is a metal. Metals look like metals because they are highly REFLECTIVE and even a slight offset of the angle of the material from perfectly perpendicular to your eye means that it "goes dark". It doesn't reflect the light to your eye. Combined with some impurities, especially in low quality metals, this creates the texture and varying points of light and dark we see in metal surfaces.

B. The color of UV paints is not reflected light. It is an incident light, meaning it is the source of the photons we see.

C. Incident and Reflected light have different qualities in regards to perception by the eye and mind.

D. A Fluorescent pigment is designed to convert any light within the UV spectrum, into a specific wavelength, or VERY small range wavelengths, of incident visible light. Take high power ray energy we can't see and convert it into lower power ray energy we can see.

E. Solids, gasses and liquids can reflect more than one wavelength of light. They can reflect hundreds! As such, the range of wavelengths that gold reflects are difficult to reproduce from a source only producing one, two, or even 13 different wavelengths.

Hopefully, this identifies some of the limits you are working within and can help you explain to the director why it isn't perfectly possible to do what they are asking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back