Vector works 12.5 questions

Lightingguy32

Could some one give me a quick run down on how to use 12.5? (perhaps send me a personal message or email me at [email protected]). My first few questions are if you click on tools like "fixture insertion" and truss insertion (etc) how or where do you go to find where those fixtures are. when I click on those tools it only pops up a help icon, it doesn't display a menu of what fixtures I am looking for or trusses for that matter.

The fixtures are located in the libraries folder of vectorworks, under something like Objects - Spotlight Imperial and Objects - Spotlight Metric. You can find all of the brands in there. You'll probably need to use the "add a favorites folder" or whatever that thing is in the Resource Browser to add them to your favorites folders, and then you can double click on a fixture for the symbol to be added to your document's resources. Then click on the instrument insertion tool and double click on the instrument that you want to insert. Then double click on the instrument to set the color, focus point, gobo, channel, circuit, dimmer, etc. And make sure to check the "light on" bullet and set the intensity.

While we're on the subject of 12.5 issues:
Is there a way to move the label of a lighting position? My labels are bumping into stuff, and I'd love to have them placed slightly behind my lighting position.
More questions to come as I finish off my plot, mainly things like legends, notes, title block, etc.
Thanks
~Charlie
I never use the built in labels for positions. I always make my own because then I can make them look how I want them too.

While we're on the subject of 12.5 issues:
Is there a way to move the label of a lighting position? My labels are bumping into stuff, and I'd love to have them placed slightly behind my lighting position.
More questions to come as I finish off my plot, mainly things like legends, notes, title block, etc.
Thanks
~Charlie

Alex's method of creating your own labels for the positions is a method to gain better control over what is and has always been a weak area in all versions of VW Spotlight.

To move the position label text, click/select the position. You should see a small blue square (handle) to the left of the position text. Put the cursor on that square and click and drag it - and the text, to any desired location.

Note that when you select the position, you can go up to text and change the font, size and style of the position text.

One advantage to using the position label is you can have VW display a position summary, selecting to display the instrument types and counts as well as color count for ea. position. You cannot format the style of the summary box, that's been asked of VW over and over to no avail, but it's better then doing it by hand.

Steve B.

With 12.5, is that the free student version or the full version? I got the free student version but it doesn't include spotlight which is a real bummer

Are you sure? Mine did.

Did you set your workspace to spotlight?

I really recommend coughing up the $75 for the training CD.

The student version contains spotlight but you have to dig to find all the tools you need. As specified earlier you need to open an objects library. If you goto "add new favorite file" (click on the little grey arrow at the top of the resource browser to open this menu) and navigate to the folder where you installed VW, open the libraries folder, then open the "objects-spotlight, choosing metric or imperial based on your preference ( for me it was C:\Program Files\VectorWorks 12.5.2\Libraries\Objects-Spotlight-Imperial )

For those of you that are interested, VW 2008 has a new student edition out. I got my hands on it recently and have been quite impressed.

For those of you that are interested, VW 2008 has a new student edition out. I got my hands on it recently and have been quite impressed.

Note that the free student edition expires after 365 days. I assume it starts counting from day of download. I have no idea if it's renewable.

SB

They ship you an instalation cd with a license. The 365 days starts after registration with that license.

They recommend that after the license is up, you fill out the form again and get a newer copy every time. They say as long as you are a student, you can request the student edition every time your license runs out

They recommend that after the license is up, you fill out the form again and get a newer copy every time. They say as long as you are a student, you can request the student edition every time your license runs out

Thanks for that info., that will make some of our students who are not seniors, very happy.

Steve B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back