Vectorworks 2016 missing inventory

dwdavedw

Having a bad day with VW 2016. I was attempting to get accessory insertion tool working correctly with LW 5, and suddenly VW lighting inventory shows that I only have 2 templates in this plot of a couple hundred units. Lighting symbol maintenance shows the same, all paperwork. Units are there, displayed on the plot, LW5 says they're still there, but the paperwork portion of VW doesn't show anything except 2 templates. Tried saving a copy to see if that solved it, no luck. Any ideas on how to resolve this? I believe I would have to build this all again from scratch, my backup is from a day ago, useless.

Having a bad day with VW 2016. I was attempting to get accessory insertion tool working correctly with LW 5, and suddenly VW lighting inventory shows that I only have 2 templates in this plot of a couple hundred units. Lighting symbol maintenance shows the same, all paperwork. Units are there, displayed on the plot, LW5 says they're still there, but the paperwork portion of VW doesn't show anything except 2 templates. Tried saving a copy to see if that solved it, no luck. Any ideas on how to resolve this? I believe I would have to build this all again from scratch, my backup is from a day ago, useless.

Update - all paperwork appears to show what's in the plot, but Spotlight: lighting symbol maintenance, lighting inventory setup only show the 2 templates. Any idea how to fix?

Are these symbols from an older version of vectorworks? I've had a "pleasant" experience when importing from VW2015 or earlier where vectorworks would rename the Light Info record to "", and therefore all of the imported symbols didn't have symbol name/instrument name/etc and wouldn't show in a list. VW2016 has a stupid amount of regressions in my opinion.

I received some help from tech support, sent my file in and he returned one where I can now see all my symbols in the lighting symbol maintenance, and lighting inventory setup, but there is no data attached -
just the symbol name - no type, wattage, lamp, beam info, etc. He said he found a corrupted record format in the file that didn't have a name. So now, all the symbols in my resource browser that I had been using,
have no data attached. The lights in the popup window - the new vector works defaults and Manufacturer's folders - do have the info. I've asked if there's some way to resurrect the data from existing symbols, but haven't heard back.

Yeah, thats the same issue I've seen. It's something to do with older symbols playing nicely with the way things were changed in 2016, and it's terribly aggrivating. The old instrument info record gets renamed to " ", and you need to manually adjust all of the data to get it back.

Yeah, thats the same issue I've seen. It's something to do with older symbols playing nicely with the way things were changed in 2016, and it's terribly aggrivating. The old instrument info record gets renamed to " ", and you need to manually adjust all of the data to get it back.
Yup, just spent an entire day replacing all existing symbols in plot. It seems 2016 wants all unit symbol names to start with "lighting Instr" and accessories "Lighting acc" to register as such. What a pain. Would have
appreciated a short cut way to transition, or at least a heads up.

And another thing, found out that all units in the new library are, by default, set to class
"incandescent" so when switching views, I almost had a heart attack when all the symbols were gone again. Sheesh.

And now wondering, how can a light have 2 classes - all my units in class "Lights-Instruments" and the new "Lighting-Incandescent" turning one class or the other off, and they disappear. In the Object info, they still say
they are assigned only the original class - Lights-instruments.

I too have been working with VW 2016 lately. I believe the Lighting-Incandescent is like a subclass of Lighting-Instruments. That is atleast how it is in my document. And turning either one or the other off hides all my lights like yours.

So.... how do I see those subclasses? I didn't know of such a thing. The OIW only shows the one, how to assign or unassign to a sub class?

On my document in the organization window Lighting-Incadescent shows as indented under Lighting-Fixtures. So It seems like a subclass to me. However in the OIW they are shown as separate classes. I may be wrong, that is however how it was setup by default in my document.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

A hyphen in a class name makes for an indented sub class. "Lighting-Incandescent" and "Lighting-Fixtures" will both show up under a "Lighting" header where hierarchical displays are possible. Setting the header to On/Off/Gray will affect all those classes.

Symbol sub classes are not available in the OIP, they are baked into the symbol. Recent libraries have been made this way and I personally believe it is a major mistake! The goal is to be able to turn parts of a symbol on and off, like door swings and label legend tags. There is some control over default classes in Document Settings, but only for whole objects.

There are 2 ways to deal with it if you hate it as much as I do. #1 Delete the sub classes and when the dialog asks about the objects in that class select 'None' or the class you prefer. #2 Rebuild all your libraries. (use method 1, but now they use many files per vendor so it's still some significant work.)

There is much talk of this in the Vectorworks forums. Some sort of default class import control will likely be in 2017, if you can wait til Sept or Oct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back