Vectorworks Body vs Lens

express

Hello All-

I've been drafting in VW lately, and have a question about body vs. lens'.. I (like everybody else) have more S4 lens' then I do S4 bodies, and I'm wondering if there is a way to count both bodies vs the lenses that are used.

I thought maybe it would be something to do with counting a source 4 body symbol and a source 4 36* symbol, but the body count doesn't increment like I was hoping it would..

If you use Lightwright, this will be possible to do in Lightwright 6 when it comes out in the hopefully not-so-distant future. I am unsure of a good way to do this in Vectorworks though. I usually do inventory counts in Excel before I begin drafting my plot so that I know what fixtures I'm using for each function and how many of them I have to use.

I suppose if you really wanted to do it in Vectorworks you could theoretically have a base lighting symbol for your Source 4's but then add the lens tube as an accessory and do your counts that way...but as I've never done it that way before I cannot vouch for any benefits/unintended side effects.

There's a new Facebook VW Spotlight group.

I would join up and ask there. Some pretty smart folks on that group, better and faster then the VW users forum

Last edited:
Hello All-

I've been drafting in VW lately, and have a question about body vs. lens'.. I (like everybody else) have more S4 lens' then I do S4 bodies, and I'm wondering if there is a way to count both bodies vs the lenses that are used.

I thought maybe it would be something to do with counting a source 4 body symbol and a source 4 36* symbol, but the body count doesn't increment like I was hoping it would..

The new instrument summary tool in vw2016 allows this. When you build the summary, you need to add a group item before and after the individual symbols, and it will show both individual and total usage.

You can also do it pretty simply. All you need is a worksheet that counts fixtures by type to make sure you don't exceed the lens counts. It can hold inventory also if you want or you can just look at the totals. Another part counts all S4 units (by class or user field or whatever) that compares to your max body count. The worksheets don't do Excel conditional formatting to make things turn red, but you can check your usage by refreshing the worksheet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back