Design Vectorworks different Products

I am about to graduate next semester and I am wondering what the different products in Vectorworks include or if there is a difference. Does the Student License just come with everything?

Thanks

Vectorworks seems to be the top pick in most lighting companies. The student version will give you the entire suite of software for 4 years at a time. The printed plots will have a watermark, but it's quite expensive software, so I manage with the watermark.

As a student, there's nothing wrong with the Student license, and you should definitely be using that. As bcronenwett said, it comes with the full suite of products, and it's fully functional and unlimited except that it puts a watermark on all files. But once you graduate and start working professionally, you really should be purchasing a professional license and using that. Yes, it's extremely expensive, but if you're getting paid to turn in a design, you should not still have watermarks on your files or plots, IMHO.

As for which product, Spotlight is the most common for making light plots. I've never personally used Vectorworks Fundamentals, but I bet that that's all you need to churn out quality 2D plots, and the price point is significantly lower.

I fully intend to pay for the whole product when I graduate. I was just wondering if there was a significant difference in the different products they offer.

Nemetschek has a program called Student2Pro or some such, which gives you a discount on an upgrade to professional.

You can also purchase thru a dealer, City Theatrical and Novedge would probably be cheaper then direct from NM.

I also think that if you want the entire VWproduct line, Spotlight, Architect, Landscape, etc.... you pay a lot. If you're nly using for Theater, then Spotlight pretty much covers it. Still not cheap, but it is the industry standard so worth the investment.

FWIW, Lightwright does something similar with a lower cost student edition, plus a reduced cost for the upgrade to full license. Worth it.

Last edited:
And before you go buying it... See if you need it. If your making rent freelancing then buy it. If your working for a company make them buy it. But don't go out and spend your money unless you know that software is going to make you that money back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back