Voltage Drop Over Distance

I'm waiting for someone to design and build a clip light with a gel frame slot, since we all end up gaffing some blue gel to the shell, anyway.
Why do you want to perpetuate the use of an unsafe device? They are hot, never stay where you want them to, typically have an unguarded lamp globe, typically are ungrounded, and create a noisy metallic clatter when they hit the floor after coming loose. One of the problems with most 'back stage blue' light sources is that they put glaring light in your eyes, don't illuminate what you need illuminated (the walk path), and spill light everywhere you don't want it. Choose a real light fixture with shutters / barn doors / snoot for off-axis light control and aim it down from overhead so the light is directed towards the floor. Mount it securely.

The original Apollo unit had a color frame, then they switched it to the black painted one with the blue CFL lamp.
The Ace unit might have some missing info on the unit, if you scroll down you see similar items that are available in 6-packs.

I have one in my shop. Solved the heat problem with an LED retrofit but it's so heavy the clip is useless. Looking forward to The Blues System - GDS and now through ETC.

I personally am going with "Ace is out of their f'ing mind."

It shouldn't even cost that much more if it comes pre equipped with a 60 watt LED bulb. And I know that because I can buy the 60 watt bulb at Home Despot for 10 bucks.

And, for the record, Essential offered me that light for $5.42 when I clicked the link.

Anybody check to see whether the OP is a sales agent for Essential? ;-)

Fifty years ago a friend who was a pilot had the same complaint: Q: Why does the fuel pump for your Ford cost $12 and the fuel pump for your Piper Cub cost $120? A: Because it's "Special Purpose!"

The five most expensive adjectives in the English language, in ascending order:

Marine,
MILSPEC,
Aviation,
Aerospace, and
Man-Rated.

Figure rough cost multipliers of 3, 10, 25, 200 and 4000

The five most expensive adjectives in the English language, in ascending order:

Marine,
MILSPEC,
Aviation,
Aerospace, and
Man-Rated.

Figure rough cost multipliers of 3, 10, 25, 200 and 4000

Yeah I know this from buying "Marine" rated this and that. But generally alot of "marine" rated stuff is of VERY high construction, made out of VERY rust-inhibitive materials, and made to hold up in tough conditions. Anything else just won't do, you dont want something failing when you are in the middle of the ocean or a great-lake. And you want it to last in a wet perhaps salty environment. So it stands to reason why some 'marine rated' things are 3x the cost. Materials include Brass and high-end stainless steel.

Same goes with aviation, if its on a plane or helicopter, you kind of want it to hold up.

However there are things "marine" or "aviation" that you kind of have to shake your head at, and scowl at the price.

Oh, I know that each of those adjectives encompasses products at both ends of the quality scale. I just think it's an amusing observation overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back