VW Symbol help

xander

Forgive me if something like this has already been asked, but I did a search and didn't find anything.
I am very new to VW, bought archonCAD tutorial (shameless plug because I think it is pretty good) and have been teaching myself. So, my question is how can I edit a symbol? I am using the libraries that come with VW. I have run into two separate instances in which I want to change something.

First case: in the "Lighting Positions" library, I am using some "pipe" symbols. I like the symbols rather than just drawing a line, double line, or rectangle because then you get options like auto numbering and auto fill in of instruments' hanging position. However, the pipes come in 30', 40', 50', etc. and I would like something in between. Can I make them longer or shorter? I tried editing the symbol and all it will let me change are the inserting parameters.

Second case: when I put my first instrument on the page (a S4 Jr Zoom) I found that some of the info that was automatically filled in in the Object Info palette was either wrong or just not my preference. It would be great if I could actually change the resource file so that I only have to do it once and not for every instrument I add, plus for any draftings I do in the future. Editing the symbol only allows me to change its 2d/3d physical attributes or insertion parameters, not the information the symbol carries with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Tim

I am running VW 12.5 so you mileage may vary.

To edit pipe length- in the resource browser right click on the symbol and select edit and when prompted select 2d or 3d. Make your changes and then click Exit Symbol.

Follow the same steps as before to get to the symbol editor. Make sure nothing is selected (click in the white space outside of the symbol) and go to the object info pallet. Under the Data Field you should see that one of the records has been selected. Mine is light info record. Make any changes to this and it will be applied to anytime you use the symbol. To use it in future draws import it from your master file or make a blank file with all your custom symbols.

Xander,

There are a couple of ways to answer your query.

First, I'll answer your question, you can edit any symbol by going to the Resource Browser and right clicking on the symbol. Then click edit. This can also be accessed by double clicking on the symbol itself within your drawing. you should be the symbol at the vertex of a cartesian plane. Edit away, but don't forget to click the Done Editing button at the TOP RIGHT of the page, to get back to the drawing.

Alternative Answer: The reason you say you prefer the created symbols are for the attributes? Well that is not necessary because you can convert any object into a lighting position through Spotlight and it has the exact options you want for any theatrical batten. Just create any object (rectangle, circle, triangle, anything made of only lines and polygons) and then go to the spotlight menu, click on Convert to Lighitng Position, and viola! You get to name it and give it all the bells and whistles you want. This solves your length issue.

Second Problem: Editing the Info Record for an Instrument.
Back to the Spotlight Menu. Look for the Light Info Record. This can also be accessed from the Resource Browser also, typically under the heading Info Record. Either double click or right click and edit the thing and poke around. If you don't see any obvious answers, then don't change anything. You can always create a new light info record, and the wizard will walk you through it.

Good Luck!

Thank you!! I had tried those things before posting and didn't have any success, I guess I should have just tried harder. When I went back and tried again I found what I needed. Thanks again!! Plus, thanks for the alternative answer on how I can turn anything into a lighting position!

Thanks again,
-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back