Water Faucet

2mojo2

We are doing The Worst High Scool Play in the World.
The script calls for a helmet made from a bucket with a faucet mounted on it.
A cup is filled from the faucet while the actor wears it.

This will get a much bigger laugh if water actually flows, and it will be seen by more of the audience if it is a vigorous flow.
I am considering using dry ice and water to over-carbonate 8 ounces or so of water, using the actual valve in the faucet to control ther flow.

At the same time, I do not want to put a bomb on a student's head.

Your thoughts?

Maybe you could try carbonated water and just shake it up real good before the scene? It would definitely take some trial and error though.

While using pressurized water wouldn't be dangerous if done correctly (not letting the pressure rise above the rated pressure of the appropriately selected container, of course), I came up with another idea.

Get a bucket large enough to accommodate a bag of water directly above the actor's head, and connect that bag to the faucet. Trap a circular plate (or small hard hat) on top of the bag to prevent it from falling out/drooping over the actor's head. With the bag full of water, when it comes time to fill the cup the actor with the cup would just need to open the faucet and casually apply pressure to the top of the bucket (and the actor wearing it does the same upwards). It wouldn't have the same pressure as if you had pre-pressurized the container, but it's also completely safe.

It might be easier to tuck a Camelbak hydration bag, or similar under the actor's upstage armpit and route the hose through the faucet. Squeeze the bag and watch the water flow. You would have to remove the bite valve but gravity would prevent any leakage.
proxy.php

It might be easier to tuck a Camelbak hydration bag, or similar under the actor's upstage armpit and route the hose through the faucet. Squeeze the bag and watch the water flow. You would have to remove the bite valve but gravity would prevent any leakage.
proxy.php

I like the Bag-in-the-armpit idea, and I own one of those camelbak devices.
The complication is that the actor does not wear the helmet for the whole scene.
He takes it off and rests it on a table shortly after the water trick.
Disconnecting could pose a problem.

Why not put the bag in the helment,

also using an elastic band under the chin will put the needed pressure on the bag

causing the water to flow out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back