Welcome the "Newbie"...

Whats up everybody! I'm not really a newbie, just to the site. Mostly, I hope to gain a lot of information and tips/tricks, as well as help educate with my "experience" and the occasional anecdote.

I'm currently attending Missouri S&T (formerly UMR) where I am majoring in Interdisciplinary Engineering with a focus in acoustics and optics (a mouthful, I know). Basically, it means that I take a bunch of different engineering courses (electrical, mechanical, civil) and get a good solid foundation in everything, and then pick my own focus and take some higher level courses in that field. I'm also Director of Light & Sound for our Student Union Board, which means I mainly try to convince the people who give us money that buying a Heritage is not only justified, but completely necessary :p

Anyway, I've been playing with audio/video/lighting equipment since 7th grade, when my church needed someone to run sound one morning and I was the only one who volunteered. Funny thing is, by 9th grade, me and my buddies were the experts to whom all the adults would come whenever they had a problem. I fancy myself as more of a sound man, but I'll tolerate playing with just about anything. Now, I am basically in charge of a student-run production company. We have a fairly limited inventory, and spend a lot of time trying to explain what things like "load-in" and "mixer" mean while asking for more money from student council. We provide audio and lighting (and sometimes video) for everything from academic presentations to frat parties to decent size concerts. I'm also involved in the process for booking acts for our annual St. Pat's concert where we bring in nationally renown artists and touring production and make them put on a concert in our 2500 capacity gymnasium (its quite funny some of the reactions we get). But, we pay them, so they don't complain (usually).

So, enough about me (I probably sound pretty narcissistic at this point)...

Story Time: When did you make your first impromptu debut as "talent"?

Re: Welcome the %26quot%3BNewbie%26quot%3B...

Welcome to the Booth Funkmonster. Get to know the search function it's your friend, there's a lot of great information in the archives. My first lead roll as an actor was 1st grade. My first sound op work was in 4th grade. My first light op work was in 9th grade.

Re: Welcome the %26quot%3BNewbie%26quot%3B...

welcome to cb,

i was a snake in my yr2 play
in year 8 i started doing sound
and in year 12 (this year) i did a solo monolouge :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back