What are these for?

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
I have 6 of these in my theater left over from before I arrived. 8'x2' made from 3/4" square tubing.

I feel like they are really useful, but I just can't figure out what they were for.
Could they be for projection screen masking? There was an old projection screen frame here.
PXL_20230726_181544844-1.jpg

With the holes drilled through the side on the bottom of the pic I would say it's part of a false Pro or a hard valance. The tabs that are welded on the long side might have been screwed to structure as a support.

I believe it's the frame for a flat. Cover with canvas or luan and make walls as you wish. The joining tabs are a plus. The LORT theater in town uses them all the time (but 12' high).
I thought about that, but there's no sign of screw holes to attach Luan and I felt like there would be 4x8 flats if it was flats. But it certainly could be.

With the holes drilled through the side on the bottom of the pic I would say it's part of a false Pro or a hard valance. The tabs that are welded on the long side might have been screwed to structure as a support.
Yes there are matching pairs of holes in both of the 2' ends in all of them. It makes a lot of sense that it could be that they were bolted together end to end to hold a valance.

The tabs bolt pattern looks an awful lot like it'd match up to loose pin hinges. 8' and square also yells sheet good friendly to me but idk how you'd affix it without drilling it out

The tabs bolt pattern looks an awful lot like it'd match up to loose pin hinges. 8' and square also yells sheet good friendly to me but idk how you'd affix it without drilling it out
I just checked and the tab holes are slightly off from 1 1/2" hinges. They also are slightly irregular from tab to tab. So this was to attach to something where precise hole location doesn't matter. Which brings me back to Torm/Valance use. But so weird that there isn't a evidence of Luan being drilled into it. It doesn't make sense to build it this size and shape if the intent was to attach soft goods with ties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back