what caused this?

Not to be a killjoy Alex, but they are definitely different types of failures.
Yours is correctly diagnosed with the ring around the center.
If you notice Ship's example there is what appears to be a ball of something in the middle of the glass(which is clear there) if it had been victim of wandering fingers there would be much more discoloration in a centralized area.

Last edited:
true, but i thought it was worth a try anyway

Nope, wrong answer. Finger F*@&ing had nothing to do with it.

number two, i have sitting on my desk currently for others to see what not to do when changing a globe, what has happened is when the person changed the globe they put their greasy fingers around the globe and it created a hotspot and died (sometimes they smash quite violently)
oh yes, i know a small about lighting:cool:

Your lamp does not have touchy feely problems either.

we the image is rather low quality in that area, from the globe that i have which has glass fragments that have expanded
proxy.php

that's my one

Photo #10: This was in a home I almost bought. Granted the Electric was the minimum problems I would solve. How does this electrical box not comply with the NEC?

Holy smokes. Stuff like that scares me.

We'll talk about this later. >.<

Number 18 (Pick Me! Pick ME!) There was a post on this a while back in question of the day. This HPL suffered what is called a seal failure in which in rushing oxygen displaced the halogen gases in the envelope causing failure.

Very good. What was the most likely cause of it to have a look at when seating the next lamp and installing the cap on the fixture?

RE Weakest link:

The bungee cords.

Or the inverted snap hook, if that's what you meant.

1: Am I right in thinking that the wire nut is on hots and the neutral was a wire that just crossed the melted wire nut? If so, there are many ways that a wire nut could melt but judging from the fact that it looks to be melted in from the outside I think that the heat source was probably external, or quite possibly a combination of external heat and heat form the wires inside.

2&3: This one I believe was answered, melted inside a par can.

4: Fut the wuck? Did someone spill or is the oxidation an after effect of the insulation melting away? Either way it looks like the insulation was melted. Could be from under rated wire, or someone spilled and caused problems that way... Looking closer I also see that it is stranded wire, and the wire is wrapped the wrong way around the screw.

5: *pinch* Whats that smell? Mmm shortcake...

6-9: Those look like spot welds. I don't approve.

10: I think all the cabling around this one makes it look worse than it is, I'm thinking its only missing on the dead front requirement. Or did you take the cover off and I'm just missing something?

11-14: More oxidation... Could it be that the wire was nicked when they stripped it, crimping made it worse, heat didn't help, and oxidation finished the job? 5 AM is not my prime time.

15: Pins are good, but it looks like the inner bulb went poof. Over voltage? Caused filament to overheat, exploding the inner globe?

16: Corroded pins. This would lead to resistance and heat, and an underpowered overheated lamp... Inner globe appears stained but in tact... I wish I had more experience with arc lamps... I'm gonna guess something in the outer inside went poof due to heat and stress. Or the seal melted? Ooh.. Eh, stumped.

17: Definitely the crappy snap hook second from the bottom.

18: This was covered, something about a crappy seal.
That's my shot finishing at 5:10 AM... wish I was tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back