What do you wear/carry backstage?

Just wondering what you carry in your pockets/belt, and what blacks you wear!

I usually wear a black hoodie, black dickies skinny double knee work pants, and black shoes (I'm looking for shoes right now. It's for a show that requires a lot of running around, so something light and grippy would be awesome)

In my pockets I have a flashlight (usually my eagletac d25a clicky or my sunwayman v11r with the AA extension tube), a knife (usually a benchmade 943 or my Strider SnG) my phone (iPhone 4 in a black life proof case), EDCF Challenge coin, a SAK of some kind, pen and pencil, notebook, running sheet for the show, Chapstick. On my belt I have my leatherman charge Al.

as far as shoes go, for something with comfort and grip you can get black waiter/server shoes at most shoe stores for pretty cheap. I think the last time I checked too there was a set with steel toes as an added bonus. I've got boots, but if somebody needs shoes quick and I know there's no risk of them smashing a foot or having something roll over them, those are a quick option.

I stop by the nike outlet and buy whatever shoes they have in all black. They generally last me a year, are comfortable on 16 hour days, and are quiet back stage. I also am a fan of the dickies work pants. They are tough enough for the shop, and look nice enough for the front of house. Also, you will find me wearing a black button up with the sleeves rolled up nine times out of ten.

I've been wearing Reebok ReeShift DMX Ride shoes for a while now. They are really comfortable, soft and quiet for walking, slip resistant, oil resistant, and you can find them for around $40. No brainer, get some.
ReeShiftDMXXWideBlackGreySunSprite01.jpg

Looks like they are only $36 on Amazon.

Well, my stage blacks vary depending on the show. Generally, I wear whichever black shirt happens to be at the top of drawer full of black shirts, some t-shirts, some polo shirts, a pair of black jeans, and my Red Wing work boots. If I need to look a bit more dressed up, I wear a button front, collared shirt, nice pants and my Red Wing work boots. If I have to be on my feet all day, I'm going to be comfortable. On my belt I have my Leatherman, my Ultimate Focus Tool, and a flashlight. My cell phone is switched off unless the needs of the show dictate otherwise.

...and black shoes (I'm looking for shoes right now. It's for a show that requires a lot of running around, so something light and grippy would be awesome).

My favorite shoes are the Prowalker by Rockport. I can get them at the outlet mall for about $59 on sale. They come in a variety of colors - including all black.

I sometimes go for Nike - but I usually go for Rockport.

Jeans, t-shirt and steel toes for load in/out. During the show it's black cargo pants and a black t-shirt, or black company polo if I'm the stage manger for the event.
In my pockets I have:
A pen, I really like the new sharpie pens since they don't bleed like a sharpie, but still do a good job marking board tape and the like.
A pocket knife, usually something from crkt.
A mega combo wrench, I really like the small size, don't even know that it's in pocket most of the time.
A smallish flashlight, one of the cheap sodial ones if I'm in a place I stand a chance of losing it, or a Maglite XL200 if I'm not.
And last but not least a SOG PowerLock on my belt. The ability to have decent wire strippers makes it my hands down no contest multi-tool of choice.

Oh hey look a new tools/clothing thread. No one tell derekleffew

I think my pair of Red Wing boots are about 4 years old now. They really need new soles, or I just need new boots, but I sure got my money worth!

Usually my uniform tech shirt, (We had a nice short sleeve shirt with a collar and our name on it that was very comfortable) black jeans, black socks, black shoes, leatherman on my belt. I usually worked on headset so I had that on, a multi-tool for just about anything for light instruments if I was running, but mostly just the all black with a leatherman.

this sounds horrible and unsafe, but i wear my vibram five fingers backstage. we dont have heavy loads most of the time and no fly rig, so comfort is what i go with. bigger sets, i'll wear black tennis shoes.

On shows: black cargos, black t-shirt, workboots (since our new rules require reinforced toes for all stage crew). If it's a full-blacks gig I've got a couple of longsleeved Columbia baselayer shirts - they're matte black, comfy as hell, breathable, and quickdry (so you can wash them in the sink between shows and they'll be dry in time for the next one - dead handy on tour). Before the new rules came in, I'd wear a pair of Mammut Ultimate Low GTX sneakers with all the silver accents sharpie'd out - they're lightweight, grippy as hell, and incredibly comfy. However, they're not waterproof in any way, and have a plastic piece in the arch that can slip on ladder rungs, which isn't ideal, but other than that they're fantastic.

In pockets/on belt: Leatherman Wave, LedLenser P5 (perfect size for torching cast on and off without lighting up the whole wing), Sharpie, ballpoint pen, iPhone on airline mode, couple of bandaids, and a spare bit of tie-line. If I'm doing props I'll usually have a tiny sewing kit, some tissues, and a few other show-specific bits and bobs. Sometimes a pair of gloves and a balaclava, for those ninja live-changes.

On build/strike days: Old pair of cargos or KingGee workpants (they've got reinforced knees with light padding, they're glorious), old t-shirt, workboots. I'll also carry my Leatherman, LedLenser P7, and my toolbelt (Dirty Rigger tool pouch on webbing belt, with a podger frog and a small velcro pouch for hardware - standard assortment of hand tools). I'll also carry a handful of bandaids, a tube of cough lollies, and a little mints tin with a couple of teabags in it (what?! I like tea, and the stuff in the greenroom is crap...).

Or you could get one of these:
9296-what-do-you-wear-carry-backstage-inside-out-tsb-t-ad.png
- It addresses the need to be visible during load-in and strike, while providing ninja black during the show.

For those of you that have responded with comments about wearing non-protective shoes (i.e. shoes without steel toe guards) - think about the damage to your livelihood you would suffer should you step on a nail or have a heavy object smash your foot from above (not to mention the pain!). If you work in an environment that is under OSHA jurisdiction, the backstage environment is, for all intents and purposes, considered a construction site - so steel toed shoes are a must. If you are not working under OSHA jurisdiction - ask yourself why millions of dollars have been spent on worker safety - just because it isn't 'the law' doesn't mean that it isn't a good idea!

I'm surprised to not see any responses about hard-hats. As mentioned with regard to OSHA above - DO IT! Don't think for a minute that professional's don't. I see stage crews wearing hard-hats all the time. Get one that has a 4-point attached chin-strap, too, as we seem to spend a lot of time bent-over where our hard-hat can fall off - it can injure those below, damage the hard-hat, and of course, you have to go get it - and during that time you are not protected.

Safety Glasses are another item required by OSHA - around the theatre there are many things that can come at you unexpectedly. Loose ends of wire rope, ricocheting nails and staples, the raw end of a pipe batten, swards, poles, wood and metal working shrapnel, paint splatter . . . Currently there are no spare eyeballs available - you have to live with the ones you are originally issued.

Attachments

• Inside-Out TSB T Ad.png
    Inside-Out TSB T Ad.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 138
Last edited by a moderator:
... If you work in an environment that is under OSHA jurisdiction, the backstage environment is, for all intents and purposes, considered a construction site - so ...
Really? A Las Vegas show that has been open and running for five years and 2500 performances is classified by OSHA as Construction and not General Industry?

No thanks on the reversible shirt. If for some reason I must wear a brightly colored shirt, I'll keep a black shirt handy too. I have 2 reasons for this fresh clothes after a long load in and before the show gives you a nice boost even when you can't take a shower. Changing socks and shoes helps the most but changing shirts can be nice too. And 2nd no one wants to see whats left of your deodorant on your shirt when you flip it over for show call, nothing professional looking about that at all.

Really? A Las Vegas show that has been open and running for five years and 2500 performances is classified by OSHA as Construction and not General Industry?

OSHA looks at the processes that are going-on, not the place. If you are hammering, hoisting, and generally building (load-in, set construction, mounting a show) or demolishing (de-constructing, or what we call load-out / strike), then we are working in a construction environment. If we are running a show, then we generally fall under 'General Industry'. In Cananda, OSH has clearly defined a formal hand-off of the stage site as the demarcation point between the two classifications. When the Head Carpenter / Technical Director hands the stage over to the Stage Manager it goes from Construction Site to General Industry, and at the end of the show when the Stage Manager relinquishes control to the Head Carpenter, then it transitions back to a 'Construction Site' classification. I've had conversations with US OSHA that imply they are considering the same formal definition.

Regardless of whether it is a formal declaration by OSHA, or not, it makes sense to use this criteria as a Best Practices policy.

Regardless of the point in the show, it also makes sense to where the best PPE available and practical. Nothing says you can't wear a hard hat backstage during a show, and considering all the low-hanging hazards in some backstage environments, this would be a good thing. I'd rather have the audience hear the hollow sound of a plastic hard-hat hitting a pipe than the dull 'thunk' of my skull and the attendant screaming and mayhem that come with my blood flowing onto some fancy costume (not to mention the 2" round scar to wear the rest of my life).

You have to consider at the activities that transpire during a mid-show set-change, too. Battens moving, heavy scenery rolling about or being carried - all these things lead back to a 'Construction Site' work environment, even if the Stage Manager has assumed responsibility for the stage activities.

There are thousands of ways to 'justify' not wearing PPE, but very few of them hold-up when you are on the witness stand trying to explain your actions to a jury. And even fewer of them have any meaning when you try to explain to your family why you can't work and support them anymore because you were injured.

No thanks on the reversible shirt. If for some reason I must wear a brightly colored shirt, I'll keep a black shirt handy too. I have 2 reasons for this fresh clothes after a long load in and before the show gives you a nice boost even when you can't take a shower. Changing socks and shoes helps the most but changing shirts can be nice too. And 2nd no one wants to see whats left of your deodorant on your shirt when you flip it over for show call, nothing professional looking about that at all.

No argument about the fresh clothes. Always feels better. These shirts were made for swag and as a safety awareness promotion, and for that quick-change where you don't have a clothes bag. Ever tried Degree, Secret, or Ultra brand deoderant? Minimal white residue on blacks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back