Design What gels should I use?

I have been programming light shows going on my fourth year, but they have been pretty boring lighting wise. I am looking to use some gels in this upcoming production. I have used them in the past, but now I am in charge of selecting them for the show (which I have never done before). No one ever told me how they chose the gels they did, we just installed them. So I am looking for help in learning how to select gels, and how to do so. Anyone?

A lot of it is personal preference, and what is needed for that specific show. What kinds of shows are you asking about? The colors I would use for rock and roll are a lot different from what I would use for theater.

It all depends on what you want each light to accomplish. If it's used for visibility, then it needs to provide for accurate skin tones. This is why people use (I'm using ROSCO as an example here only because I can name them off the top of my head. Apollo, Lee, and GAM all make great gel colors as well!) R64 light steel blue if they want a light blue that still maintains good skin tones, or R33 (no Color Pink), or R51.

If you want a blue- do you want one with green wavelengths to give you an aquatic feel, or one that is a neutral blue? or one that perhaps has a red shift when dimmed? The way to find these things out is look at the wavelength shown on the swatch book. This will tell you how much of the spectrum the gel will transit. Something with a full(ish) spectrum will be good at rendering colors and skin tones over all. Something which cuts out to ~0% at various wavelengths (a red for instance might have it's line drop out in the ~500nm range to show that it doesn't transmit any green at all.) So if you shine this gel on something that is green, the object will appear black or brownish.

Use a small flashlight and a swatch book to see what the color looks like on clothing, skin, and the paint of the set, then choose the color that you think will help transform or accentuate those items in a positive way that helps the design and the director's vision. Remember- It's okay to change your mind during tech. EVERYONE makes gel mistakes sometimes. You think a color is going to be great and when it gets to tech suddenly it doesn't look how you thought it would in your mind. Ken Billington related that he once regelled an entire show on Broadway after opening and it fixed the entire show.

For shows like the tempest, and Midsummer Night's Dream- some of the best designs I've seen used super saturated color for downlight/backlight, and then subtle followspots on the actors (diffused) to "pull them out" of the colorful environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back