Control/Dimming What is a fair price for a ETC Express 48/96?

nagates

A sister community theatre group is offering to sell us their ETC Express 48/96, they are currently lend it to us and I think its an upgrade considering the ShowXpress system we had, they said to just Google how much it was going for used. I found one on eBay for about 1,700, but I thought I would poll the community for a better estimate of it's worth. It's definitely an older board as it still uses floppy disks to save shows, and I'm not even sure you can hook up the computer part of the system.

I don't think they are trying to be greedy or anything, or really have an ideas to their value, I think they just feel like they have to get something for it. So I think I could offer probably them on the lower end of the used price spectrum.

thoughts?

That seems like a fair price to me for that console. Expresses are, in my experience, somewhat sought after for their general ease of use and bulletproof-ness. If you have an all-conventional rig, and student programmers/operators, that console would be just fine. And the price they're asking is half the cost of a new Element.

That particular frame, though, is HUGE! It's great for having a fader for every channel (again, good for student operators), but will take up a lot of space in your booth or tech area.

There is a hack for the floppy drive which will convert it for use with a USB flash drive, which would take care of that issue.

The decision, then, is whether your budget can support a newer console, or whether your programmers/operators would benefit more from learning new technology or from having a handle they can grab for each light. It becomes a little bit of apples and oranges....
ThGenat particular Express, though, is HUGE.

I'll say it again... 500 bucks. With a new element coming in below 5k there is no reason to spend that money on an outdated piece of gear. If you have to send it in for service once that might push you up to the element. I'm sitting in a space right now with a microvision... So you can get some life out of it. Just don't pay out the nose for it. Odds are it is at least 10 years if not 15 years old...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'll say it again... 500 bucks. With a new element coming in below 5k there is no reason to spend that money on an outdated piece of gear. If you have to send it in for service once that might push you up to the element. I'm sitting in a space right now with a microvision... So you can get some life out of it. Just don't pay out the nose for it. Odds are it is at least 10 years if not 15 years old...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Agree. $500.

Any desk that old WILL eventually have stuff fail and a 48/96 is going to be expensive to ship to and from Wisconsin. I also have never read of anyone actually doing the USB conversion successfully, I'd want proof that there's a real kit out there to replace the floppy.

In the end, it's worth exactly what someone will pay for it, yes?

There are a few designers around here who would have kicked in their entire fee to purchase that 48/96 when the musical theatre company's new [other brand] console acted up show after show....

So, is it worth $1700 to you? Sounds like probably no, or you wouldn't have asked.:)

Usedlighting.com has several smaller/simpler consoles like a Leprecon 624 for $1000 or so and an Express 48/96 for $3500. Of course if they were great prices they would be sold already.
Solarisnetwork.com has similar pricing and there are other used equipment sources out there. Ebay is not so hot if there are more focused options.

I do feel that there are a lot of these consoles out looking for new homes. I know a high school that has 2 Ex 24/96s gathering dust. Since so many smaller venues are adding LEDs and cheap movers the Express line is fading quickly.

Does the board come with any peripherals -- an RFU, an RVI, or even a monitor or Littlites? Does it come with a case? And, is the previous owner its first owner, or does it have a more muddled history?

If it's in good condition (no broken faders, and relatively clean) I could see it going for $500; maybe a thousand if you're generous. Beyond that, and it's just too close to purchasing a new board. You might also think about any trade bait you might offer in kind to lower the price some.

Since it's a community theater, you can probably get away with a mutually agreeable price. A lot of institutions (universities and such) have mandates to only sell it at current market prices; perhaps one reasons why usedlighting.com / GearSource / etc have relatively high prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back