What is a preamp for?

getmandc

I have a mixer that accepts multiple inputs and has 2 outputs (left and right). I have 3 amps (QSC gx5) and each have 2 channels. I will call them amp A, B, and C and they have no link feature. They only accept inputs and they only output to passive speakers.

Now if i use a y-splitter on each of the outputs of the mixer then I can hook it up to 4 channels on the amps. Using this math means that 2 channels go unused or 1 amp is not receiving signal. To solve this cheaply i could y-split the y-splitters but I am not sure if that is a good idea.

I was trying to figure a solution and came across 2 things that might help a snake and/or a preamp.

Now a snake also accepts multiple inputs and outputs to multiple outputs. A pre-amp also accepts multiple inputs and outputs to multiple outputs but offers the flexibility of using different cables as well as produces a signal suitable for professional amps requiring a strong signal source and for powered speakers.

My questions:
Is sound quality lost with splitters?
Are pre-amps designed for this problem or are they just a good solution?
Would a snake be better or what are snakes for?

Also Can I close threads or are they open forever or does someone close them?

Is sound quality lost with splitters?
Are pre-amps designed for this problem or are they just a good solution?
Would a snake be better or what are snakes for?

I use a number of snakes. I have two snakes (SR and SL) - these get the signals from the stage to the sound booth. These also have four sends back to the stage for monitor mixes. I also have two ribbon snakes for stage use to go from the stage (and the various microphones, DI boxes and what not) to the larger snakes SR and SL. I don't have to have a lot of cables all over the place.

I also have patch snakes. Patch snake #1 goes from the mixer to the compressor/limiters. Patch snake #2 goes from the compressor/limiters back to the mixer.

I've never used a snake to split a signal - just to connect things.

I've used preamps for guitar work to shape the signal before going into the amplifier. I've also used them in radio work to blend voices before amplification and transmission.

What sort of mixer do you have? Does it have auxiliary outputs? Many mixers often have them. Does your mixer have monitor outputs that you can amplify?

What sort of mixer do you have? Does it have auxiliary outputs? Many mixers often have them. Does your mixer have monitor outputs that you can amplify?

Ya my mixer has auxiliary outs and monitor outs but the one from above is theoretical so that I can get an idea of what kind of device i need to get when all of them are used up and i still have amps that need to push speakers. Is there a device specifically designed for this problem or is this not usually a problem.

I think I understand what snakes are for and they are just used to keep things tidy.

There is nothing wrong with driving several line inputs from one output, such as with multiple Y cords. These days, line outputs are low impedance and line inputs are high impedance. The inputs present almost no load on the output so even several of them together are fine and won't compromise the sound in any way.

If you needed to drive a really large number of line inputs from one source, and/or needed to adjust the level separately to each input, then a distribution amplifier would be the thing to use. They really only apply to larger, installed systems.

Preamps are for greatly amplifying signals from very low levels up to line level. Normally, preamps are used for mics, guitar pickups, phono cartridges because they all produce very weak signals. That isn't applicable here.

What are you trying to use the speakers for? If, for example, Main Left consisted of a single speaker, no splitters necessary because you'd use one output of the mixer per one input of the amps. If, Main Left consisted of a top and a sub, then a crossover may be appropriate that splits the Main Left from the mixer and divides it into a signal appropriate for the sub and a single appropriate for the top. If the other speakers you're trying to feed are monitor wedges, you'd want to use auxes instead of the mains to feed those signals, so again, no splitter necessary.

The advice you get will be dependent on what the use-case is you're going for. There are a vast number of different configurations you could go with depending on what you're trying to accomplish. To base a recommended solution off of generic assumptions how you may end up using your sound system would risk leading you down the wrong path.

Can you provide us more information you can provide on what you intend to use your sound system for and how you currently use it?

Can you provide us more information you can provide on what you intend to use your sound system for and how you currently use it?

well right now I was just trying to figure out how I am going to get source to amps for future expansion as well as figure out what snakes and preamp are for.

Right now I work at a club where sound doesn't carry all the way through to the back and the club owner was thinking about adding some flown speakers in the back. Since I have a gx5 amp pushing subs and loudspeakers and it has no output link ability I started thinking about how I would add another amp to push the back speakers.

Anyway I figured out what a pre-amp is for.
I also have come to a solution that the easiest way for future expansion is to buy amps that link.

well right now I was just trying to figure out how I am going to get source to amps for future expansion as well as figure out what snakes and preamp are for.

Right now I work at a club where sound doesn't carry all the way through to the back and the club owner was thinking about adding some flown speakers in the back. Since I have a gx5 amp pushing subs and loudspeakers and it has no output link ability I started thinking about how I would add another amp to push the back speakers.

Anyway I figured out what a pre-amp is for.
I also have come to a solution that the easiest way for future expansion is to buy amps that link.

If you want to add fill/rear speakers, you're probably going to want some sort of system processor. A system processor would include things such as the ability act as a crossover, set delays for individual speakers, set EQ for each speaker as needed for a flat response, and route signals as appropriate. You're most likely not going to want to send the exact same signal to all the speakers if they are in different physical locations and/or different models.

I read the GX5 manual, the 1/4" TRS jack and the XLR can be used to link amp channels together. Page 9 has an example of how to link channels 1 and 2 of one amp together.

I did look at the

If you want to add fill/rear speakers, you're probably going to want some sort of system processor. A system processor would include things such as the ability act as a crossover, set delays for individual speakers, set EQ for each speaker as needed for a flat response, and route signals as appropriate. You're most likely not going to want to send the exact same signal to all the speakers if they are in different physical locations and/or different models.

that sounds a lot harder and above my expertise then just simply adding some speakers in the back to get sound over there.

I read the GX5 manual, the 1/4" TRS jack and the XLR can be used to link amp channels together. Page 9 has an example of how to link channels 1 and 2 of one amp together.

so then can i connect both channels from my mixer to both channels on the GX5 via xlr. Then connect the Gx5 to another GX5 with 1/4" trs to xlr and continue that process with as many GX5s as i see fit

If you simply add speakers in the back though there will be a delay that most likely is noticeable and people will perceive the sound arriving at two different times, from different sources.

Via tapatalk

And could make your audio unitelligable and sound bad. Adding fill speakers is not just as easy as adding amps and speakers. Timing and place, ent are key. As well as phase relationship.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

The usual admonition that any flown devices should be flown by a qualified party with appropriate liability coverage.

When you think about it, the fill speakers are likely to not only sound different themselves but are also likely be closer to the listeners and be affected differently by the room. To address that it is common to provide associated processing to allow those speakers to be independently delayed, equalized and limited. If you have a stereo main system it may get even more complex as you may need to address some routing and mixing of the left and right signals to obtain the proper signals for the fill speakers. All of these aspects are where a matrix system provessor can help.

You can certainly do without a system processor and just run the left and right signals to some fill speakers but that may be simply getting some sound to the back and not necessarily getting a desirable result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back