What is it? - Old JR Clancy Equipment

Last time I used one? 1977. Last time I saw one for sale. At our local supply house last week. Brand new. They told me they would make a deal on the pair for me. These were converted to be held down by saddle bags though. I still have some cleats and lashing cleats, but no stage braces.

Got some stage screws of both style, hanging irons and all assorted even lash line cletes and one c.1911 oak 16' stage brace that is frequently used be it from my tape wall - 14' high in grabbing tape, to at times in the shop just focusing fixtures. Frequently use it in my work area in bracing cable out of the way when hoisting up a large mirror ball or other item hung. Ibid on the concept of the weighted plate they were attached to later - though in my case it was 1.5" thick plywood plate, drywall screw with washer attached and weighted down by stage weights. Bottom of this sub-plate as it were was rubber or vinyl coated in often floor runner so as to grip the stage once weighted.

Above 1911 theater when I got there letf had a wall of stage braces from 18" thru like 20'. It was very impressive. A shame in all of them gone - stolen or possibly trashed in taking up too much space, other than the one I traded for. As with much of their old gear and parts. (Though in recently seeing the place, I think that the old TD just forgot where he squarrelled away the antique lights.) Rigging cabinet stocked - emptied and gone etc. though. Lort type place with hired stage hands on each show. Few if any formal employees on stage supervising.

None the less, stage brace and not metioned yet is the concept of gel changing or removing while hung. While at that past theater, I remember often using a stage brace to remove gel from overhead fixtures in quick time. Can't remember if I was good enough to also re-gel with stage brace or if possible but possible in concept. (Probably not but think we tried it a lot.) Stage brace was a good while hung gel, as a removing tool for what's still in the air and very useful for that if not it's origional purpose. Stage jacks I prefered later of course and at least 12 years since I used any such thing.

Last edited:
Used our set last year to brace a wall unit with two working doors that flew in.

Both had an attached metal plate on the stage deck in. We would fly the wall in, secure the stage brace to the back, put a stage weight on the plate, and scoot off stage. This kept the flat from rocking either forward or back as the doors opened and closed, one of which was a double swing diner door. Worked like a charm.

When it was time to fly the wall out, we locked the doors and reversed.

Just goes to show you sometimes high tech isn't always the way to go I guess.

P.S. Have a 1911 stage screw at work to explain why in the museum collection I have a Major 18" spoked base under an 8' display of an Olivalitte rosette mount light on it. Yes, I at least have it safety cabled to the ceiling by way of fixture added safety cable ring added to the fixture, but in general a spoked 18" base wouldn't support a boom short of attachment from falling over. This is long before the 40# boom base concept, they used to be 1" NPT from what I see for short booms and stage screwed to the stage floor.

Seperate but as shown above, the stage screw was also used to attach boom bases to the deck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back