What is the latest backup technology?

SHCP

Our theater is about 10 years old now, and when it was built they installed a large backup battery system consisting of dozens of marine batteries. The system has been maintained, but now I am thinking that it may need to be updated. What does a current installation use for backup? Tesla wall? Something similar? The marine batteries seem outdated and wasteful somehow. Our house is a mix of LED and traditional instruments, but anything new we buy now is LED so that may inform how we upgrade the system.

Tape.

Oh; you mean "battery backup". :)

Commercial UPS systems are still, nearly uniformly, using SLA up through about 100-200kVa, and optionally wet lead acid there and above, or in continuous applications rather than switchover, at least from what I've seen.

I'm not seeing any lithium chemistry in commercial UPSs at this time.

How much load do you need to carry?

What are you trying to"back up"? Is this simply for code required emergency illumination , or something else? I've been specifying basic inverters, like https://www.myerseps.com/products/emergency-inverters/ They make a lot of things simple, like even emailing the results of the code required periodic testing. (That same kind of code requirement like closing fire curtain in off hours that no one does.) The batteries are called "valve regulated sealed lead calcium". I think only some of the small wall mounted "bug-eye" units use lithium batteries.

Bill, it is an inverter system. The OnlIne Power Powerwave system. It looks very much like the myerseps system. It is using 48 batteries in two large cabinets. It is just there for emergency power in case of a blackout or other power interruption. We have an ETC Sensor + with 196 dimmers and some architectural lighting connected to it. Luckily, it has never had to kick in during any of our performances in 10 years. With only regular maintenance it has been there keeping sentry but I was wondering if the technology has changed to the point that there is a more efficient way. Sounds like SLA is still how it is done, so we will just keep this system in place and maintained.

Some office building have one every 5 of the drop in T bar lights with an integrated battery. Looks much more slick than having the wall packs everywhere and actually provides a nominal amount of light.
Is there anything like this for LED houselights that incorporates the control aspect?
Although its more individual points to inspect and maintain?, it seems better for one unit to fail than the entire system... Obviously this isn't what I do so my thoughts could be wrong.

What are you trying to"back up"? Is this simply for code required emergency illumination , or something else? I've been specifying basic inverters, like https://www.myerseps.com/products/emergency-inverters/ They make a lot of things simple, like even emailing the results of the code required periodic testing. (That same kind of code requirement like closing fire curtain in off hours that no one does.) The batteries are called "valve regulated sealed lead calcium". I think only some of the small wall mounted "bug-eye" units use lithium batteries.
I would have to check to be sure, but our lobby, house and work lights are on the same system, so I assume they are also connected to the inverter. That is why I assumed architectural lighting was part of it.

Some office building have one every 5 of the drop in T bar lights with an integrated battery. Looks much more slick than having the wall packs everywhere and actually provides a nominal amount of light.
Is there anything like this for LED houselights that incorporates the control aspect?
Although its more individual points to inspect and maintain?, it seems better for one unit to fail than the entire system... Obviously this isn't what I do so my thoughts could be wrong.
Yes. I have used an Acuity Incito downlight in two studio theatres with lay in ceilings with the battery option. About a about a third of the fixtures. Work well. There is a required test switch - a push button in a single gang plate - installed adjacent to fixture. If the power fails they come to maybe half intensity. Otherwise they dim fine full to out on DMX. What I haven't found is a pendant cylinder with that option. Last I looked was late last year.

For the record, I'm told firefighters hate this sort of thing, cause there's nowhere they can go to deenergize the building before putting water on it.

For the record, I'm told firefighters hate this sort of thing, cause there's nowhere they can go to deenergize the building before putting water on it.
Do you think that applies to a 12 or 24 volt battery powering a single fixture? Most exit signs today are same - local battery and emergency bypass. I'd understand if it was 120 or 277 from numerous inverters or gensets.

I don't know either, though I wouldn't wanna be the one putting water on it.

I'm just quoting sources in the fire service. (The context was solar roof systems and electric cars, and no, I don't have a specific citation to hand.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back