What kind of console for under 5k

Pearl or Hog1000?

• Total voters
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a used console to replace our old beat up NSI MC 24/48 desk. I was thinking something like an Avolites Pearl 2000 or 2004. But my budget is next to nothing as the venue is struggeling in the econnomy crunch. We have about 80-100 conventional lights and 12 Varil-lite VL2c's a few color scrollers and fog machines and hazers. So i will need a desk that can handel multiple universes.

We don't plan on adding much more to the rig and would like a console that visting LD's won't " poo poo" all over and that is simple and easy to deal with. I'm looking for something for under 5k.

Any sugguestions or advice is greatly appriciated.

The ion is close to 5k still I believe. Chamsys magic q has some supporters here as well. Are you looking for a physical console or are you open to computer consoles as well?

If you are looking for a system visiting LD's will not mind using, I would steer clear of a PC based system. Although I think they are great (I own two ), most people are just not experienced on them and, thus, do not think they are as great as an ETC, or Avo. Your biggest issue will be being able to find many different multi universe boards to choose from. There are several options but, at that price point, the options are not exactly limitless.

~Dave

Last edited:
My vote would be for a Ion 1024. Your intended audience should really dictate your choice. I'm certainly no expert, but ETC and Strand lean towards the theater side of things while Hog and MA are firmly planted on the concert side. I'm biased towards ETC since it's really all I've ever used, except NSI/Leviton, but I don't count that.

I'm sticking with my original thought of the ion then. Although for a used console you might be able to find an espression or insight around there. Perhaps even a strand 500i or hog 2.

VL2C's, really?!:eek:
I'm sticking with my original thought of the ion then. Although for a used console you might be able to find an espression or insight around there. Perhaps even a strand 500i or hog 2.
No one would be happy programming/busking twelve MLs on an Expression, Insight, or even a 500 (in a "live" situation). Sounds like it's more of a rock venue, so I'd go for the HogII or Hog 1000, if not a Pearl. That's what visiting LDs expect.

VL2C's, really?!:eek:

No one would be happy programming/busking twelve MLs on an Expression, Insight, or even a 500 (in a "live" situation). Sounds like it's more of a rock venue, so I'd go for the HogII or Hog 1000, if not a Pearl. That's what visiting LDs expect.

Exactly. Anything ETC or Strand makes does not fit the bill for this space. You need something with at least 10 tactile playbacks. A MagicQ with a Maxi Wing (Not the best name in the world...) would suffice if a HogII family of console or a Pearl could not be found. Most Hog programmers can pick up the Chamsys pretty fast. You can pick up one of those and an HP Touchsmart computer for about 6k. The Maxi wing has 4 universes of output. Avoid anything made by Strand or ETC like the plague for your type of venue.

Last edited:
To the original poster. Can you explain more about what kind of events you host? Are you looking for a theater console or a concert console? It makes a big difference.

If you are looking for theater with occasional moving lights then you can get a new ETC Element or one of the lower model Strand Palettes for under $5k. An ETC Ion will run you a little over $6k if you need a fader wing which it sounds like you do.

If you are looking for a concert lighting console, as has been said avoid ETC and Strand. Get yourself a used Hog, GrandMA, Pearl, or a Champsys with a wing or two. Check out the prices on used gear from the vendors listed at Sources for Used Equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way, i'm going to see Great Big Sea there tonight.

Anyways back to the topic at hand. I would look at a a used hog of some kind. A 2 if you could get it but you wouldn't go wrong with a 1000 or even an PC setup with wings. An Ion might be nice depending on how many people you have coming in even though it really isn't designed for concerts. But with the recent up dates and a 2x20 wing you could get some good results.

Yea GBS is bringing their own GrandMA Lite console in tonight. Should be a bitchen light show. So i'm gathering that most LD's would be comfortable with a Hog 1000. I looked in to going with a Hog PC but by the time you get the super widget and a few wings it prices it out of the ball park for us.

The 1000 is a great console for a rig your size, is readily available, and runs similar to other hogs making people comfortable with them. It would definatly kick your old NSI around.

Now that we've narrowed it down, I've added a poll to this thread. Many will have strong opinions.

I looked in to going with a Hog PC but by the time you get the super widget and a few wings it prices it out of the ball park for us.

Take a serious look at the Chamsys line. My wife has had a few come through on concert tours tours in her venue lately and the LD's have been very happy with the PC systems.

If you can pick up a 1000, go for it. It will suit you well. If you can't, pick up a Chamsys. A full PC system is about half the cost of a HogPC system.

By the way you can get a hog 2 for $5000. And that's what I'd pick any day programming wise.

Though, if you go with those bear in mind a few things: The touch screens have been obsolete for years, and as far as I know there is no substitute. If they go (and you are on a budget) you are stuck with external monitors. They can easily be damaged by pencil points, ect... which could be a problem with guest LDs. Also we had issues with one going totally crazy once during programming which took about 6 hours of work to get it working again (and recover the show). I've never seen one let you down in playback though. Also you'll want to check the internal battery. It's a rechargeable battery which powers the volatile memory while it's off. It also likes to leak at about the age many hog2s are-- which makes a huge mess and can damage the circuit board. Have HES tech support walk you through how to do that.

If you're interested in a Zero 88 Bullfrog (which seems to fit your requirements), I have a friend who has one for sale and its well within your budget.

Also besides the link above you can try www.lightbroker.com, the sales arm of T2k in L.A. There are a few Whole Hog 2 there for under 5k. By the way, most "concert" boards can do everything a "theatre" board can do. Dimmer channels are by far the easiest thing to program in the world. Most theatre shows have a single running cue stack anyhow. I've pulled many a Obsession or Strand out of a space to replace it with a Hog or GMA even without many movers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back