What to do with 700MHz wireless equipment now?

DavidDaMonkey

Hey everyone!

I looked for this among the the previous posts, but couldn't find anything.

We have finally gotten the last of our 700MHz wireless mics switched out into 500 and 600 ranges. My question is, what do you recommend we do with the old equipment? Obviously it's not legally good to anyone in the US. Has anyone attempted to sell overseas with any success? Is it worth it?

Right now it's all just cluttering up my sound storage room and I'd like to claim that space back for other equipment.

What have you done with your outdated wireless gear?

Also, it's Sennheiser gear, and I'm not sure why we didn't trade it in for a rebate, but we are already past the deadline anyway.

That's what we did. We had 8 Sennheiser wireless mic systems that we traded in last summer (and received nearly $1000) back. We purchased 10 new systems in the 500 MHz range.

My guess is to try selling it internationally like you'd mentioned. How many units do you have to get rid of?

Throw it on ebay. People are scooping this stuff up left and right. Going rate for an EW100 setup is about a hundred bucks. I know people who have sold the gear for more then that if it has more stuff. Best you can get is about a 1 to 4 ratio of new to old.

I have been making my Handheld Wireless mics into wired mics. I take out the transmitter and wire directly to the element in the head. then there is a short lead coming out of the microphone to an XLR connector. Still havent figured out what to do with the receiver though, maybe make a preamp out of it?

Throw it on ebay. People are scooping this stuff up left and right. Going rate for an EW100 setup is about a hundred bucks. I know people who have sold the gear for more then that if it has more stuff. Best you can get is about a 1 to 4 ratio of new to old.
Best to not do that since it has been illegal to sell 700MHz system in the US longer than it has been illegal to operate them. You may get away with clearly identifying the frequency and something like "not for use in the US" but selling or shipping RF gear to some other countries can bring up some other issues (not only are frequencies also controlled in some other countries where it thus might also be illegal to sell but there may also have bans or restrictions on the import/export of any RF equipment to some countries). Many churches are apparently donating their old 700MHz systems to churches in less developed countries where compliance is not an issue and for which there are no restrictions on selling or exporting RF equipment.

I know I'm in a bit different position than most people on here with one arm in some of the highest budget shows and another in some of the lowest. However I will say that in the lowest realm 700mHz is still seeing quite a bit of use. I have nothing directly to do with it, but I've seen stuff and know it's used. These do not and are not interfering with any real communications equipment. They don't work too well because of all the interference they receive though. Honestly, I've not seen any evidence the FCC is actually doing ANYTHING about all the churches ect using this. I also doubt they'd care/do anything about someone throwing old gear on ebay so that a church can get another set of wireless that mostly works.

If anyones can point to a case of the FCC doing anything about a small church/garage band/whatever using 700mHz wireless, please do post and I will pass along.

Of course in the real, big budget shows, they've already replaced all wireless because they're not going to take a chance on any more interference.

If anyones can point to a case of the FCC doing anything about a small church/garage band/whatever using 700mHz wireless, please do post and I will pass along.
I have heard several people report local officials dropping in and directing church and school venues to immediately cease and desist use, a result of some of the 700MHz spectrum being used for local first responder life safety communication. The FCC may be hoping that much of this resolves itself as the use of the 700MHz spectrum grows, Verizon's supposedly bringing their LTE service on line starting in major markets next month may certainly help expedite that, however that does not change the fact that for the 698-806MHz spectrum the legality is not a matter of avoiding or accepting interference but simply of any unapproved operation.

I know I'm in a bit different position than most people on here with one arm in some of the highest budget shows and another in some of the lowest. However I will say that in the lowest realm 700mHz is still seeing quite a bit of use. I have nothing directly to do with it, but I've seen stuff and know it's used. These do not and are not interfering with any real communications equipment. They don't work too well because of all the interference they receive though. Honestly, I've not seen any evidence the FCC is actually doing ANYTHING about all the churches ect using this. I also doubt they'd care/do anything about someone throwing old gear on ebay so that a church can get another set of wireless that mostly works.

Of course in the real, big budget shows, they've already replaced all wireless because they're not going to take a chance on any more interference.

And I'm sorry to sound like a jerk here but, its people like these that cause the fines for using unauthorized frequencies being so high. I know if i know of anyone who is using this spectrum i politely tell them that they need to replace the wireless mic's now or i will not work the show. It's as much as the owners responsibility to make sure they are within the law for the borrowed spectrum as the end user is.

Just remember wireless mics don't have to be allowed they are because its a nicety. There are no laws saying we get to use them just human overlooks as to the spectrum we use.

Churches and garage bands aren't what cause the fines to be high. The fines are high because the consequences are very costly and many use wireless mic's in a commercial application where they stand to profit from violating the law. If the potential profits were higher than the fines, then they'd have little reason not to just blatantly break the law.

Imagine bus, taxi, and truck drivers. All of them stand to make more money if they drive faster. If they an make enough extra money from driving faster, then there's clear incentive for them to willfully break the law and get a ticket here or there. Thus, the fines are so high as to discourage people from considering they can continue to profit using mic's in that spectrum, and to better justify in many cases the costs for replacing entire systems.

Also because it's a spectrum that's now cordoned off for emergency communications, even just a couple hours of bad interference here or there can have serious implications. Another reason why the fines are extraordinarily high.

Can anybody point me in the direction for reporting users still choosing to defy the regulations and still use 700 MHz gear? My school (tech staff, I hope you're watching this right now...) still continues to use illegal gear regularly...

To report it, you need to show that you, as a license holder, have experienced interference. Thus it's not terribly easy to report it. That said, a call to Verizon and/or AT&T might draw some unwanted attention to the person using 700 MHz gear.

Can anybody point me in the direction for reporting users still choosing to defy the regulations and still use 700 MHz gear? My school (tech staff, I hope you're watching this right now...) still continues to use illegal gear regularly...

REALLY? Why would you WANT to get your school in trouble? If they were interfering with something thay'd have been reported or contacted by whoever they're interfereing with. I'd say tell them to replace it, but otherwise just leave them be.

Well, I'd first report it informally to the party(s) within the school that could end such use. If that doesn't work, report it to them formally, in writing and perhaps referencing the related FCC documents and rules. If you still don't get any response, then maybe forward the same information to the school Principal and if that does not work, the School Board. Basically, I would work your way up the ladder and not just jump right to the top rung. There could be one exception to this.

I believe that currently 763-775MHz and 793-805MHz, along with 806-809MHz, are the "700MHz" spectrum reserved for life safety land mobile use. If any of your wireless systems operate on those frequencies then you may want to specifically point out that they are potentially interfering with life safety use. If the people that could change such use do not do so then perhaps some local life safety entities might support their immediately ceasing any operations in that spectrum, either a visit or a 'cease and desist' type letter.

I got lucky. Our local retailer got me in touch with a rental company overseas that wanted to buy all our old system. He said he could also put it on there used data base and sell it if this company didnt go through but it would have cost us 10% of what ever we sold it for. DHL gave me all the paperwork to fill out for tax filings and what not so it was fairly easy.

I got lucky. Our local retailer got me in touch with a rental company overseas that wanted to buy all our old system. He said he could also put it on there used data base and sell it if this company didnt go through but it would have cost us 10% of what ever we sold it for. DHL gave me all the paperwork to fill out for tax filings and what not so it was fairly easy.

you could donate it to a church with a mission program that they could use on there mission fields most paces in africa,philipines,,etc.. dont have any sort of restrictions on there frequencys and could bless someone i think it could also be a tax writeoff..check your local chrches ask them about there missions see what u can do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back