Mixers/Consoles What will the stork deliver? An LS9 I hope..

sdauditorium

We currently have a Mackie 24x4 that is effectively down to 20 functional channels going back to last November. After nearly a year of research, consulting with other venues and users of our space, and getting endless quotes from our sales manager at Full Compass, we've settled on upgrading our mixer to a LS9-32.

The toughest part, as it almost always seems, was getting the funding in place. Countless months of negotiating, discussions and grant writing has finally paid off. While the funding is ready, an expenditure this large has to get approved by the school board. Their meeting is next Monday; hopefully, by this time next week we should have it on the way. From what I can tell, we're getting a pretty good deal on it as well.

Sorry, just had to throw this out there - I'm pretty anxious. :cool:

Sorry, the district's flagship school needs new smartboards after an epidemic of dry-erase accidents, your fancy touchscreen audio computer can wait. I mean, I was just down at the music store and they had a sale on 12 channel mixers, couldn't you just get three of those and some cables to change your microphone cables to regular ones? :twisted:

Sorry, the district's flagship school needs new smartboards after an epidemic of dry-erase accidents, your fancy touchscreen audio computer can wait. I mean, I was just down at the music store and they had a sale on 12 channel mixers, couldn't you just get three of those and some cables to change your microphone cables to regular ones? :twisted:

The good news is that none of the funding is coming from the school's general budget - everything is either in the form of grants, fundraisers, or budgets that are specifically earmarked for these purchases. Furthermore, no one in the district/powers-that-be knows much about the technical realm. Regardless, I don't take advantage of that fact, and pride myself in educating administration and those I work with on "the why" of various projects or purchases.

The one question I've been asked the most by our superintendent when he walks through after taking a brief look around is "Is everything safety cabled?" I don't know if it was a talking point that he heard years ago, but it's really the only question he'll ever ask.

Have you downloaded the manual and LS9 Editor (LS9-32, LS9-16 | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio)? Run through the online tutorial, quick start guide, etc. (LS9-32, LS9-16 | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio)? If not, it may be well worth your time to do so and to even have an initial configuration file created so that you are ready to start working with the board when you get it.

This actually reminds me of a cautionary warning that the factory or default configuration of a digital console, if it has one, may be quite different from what you need for your system and if you just hook a board up and start trying to use it that way it is easy to get strange results and potentially even damage your system. To help avoid that you might want to load a configuration for your system before making any audio connections or at least before trying to run any audio through the mixer.

Have you downloaded the manual and LS9 Editor (LS9-32, LS9-16 | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio)? Run through the online tutorial, quick start guide, etc. (LS9-32, LS9-16 | Mixers | Products | Yamaha Pro Audio)? If not, it may be well worth your time to do so and to even have an initial configuration file created so that you are ready to start working with the board when you get it.

This actually reminds me of a cautionary warning that the factory or default configuration of a digital console, if it has one, may be quite different from what you need for your system and if you just hook a board up and start trying to use it that way it is easy to get strange results and potentially even damage your system. To help avoid that you might want to load a configuration for your system before making any audio connections or at least before trying to run any audio through the mixer.

Already (kind of) ahead of you. I downloaded and have been playing with the offline editor for a few months in anticipation to acclimate myself quicker once it does arrive. I hadn't thought of configuring it ahead of time, but it makes sense, and I'll work on that over the weekend.

Already (kind of) ahead of you. I downloaded and have been playing with the offline editor for a few months in anticipation to acclimate myself quicker once it does arrive. I hadn't thought of configuring it ahead of time, but it makes sense, and I'll work on that over the weekend.

Don't bother - just steal mine: TP Audio's LS9 Console File

One flaw I need to correct in the 2011/06/17 version - vocal 4 has a bunch of gain in the EQ section.

Don't bother - just steal mine: TP Audio's LS9 Console File

One flaw I need to correct in the 2011/06/17 version - vocal 4 has a bunch of gain in the EQ section.
Do we know that this is applicable to their system, their physical console configuration and their application?

Many digital consoles have numerous configuration aspects that are configured via programming, such as where a 'direct out' or other signal and paths originate in the signal chain being selected from a number of options and many of those programming assignments are often show or application related. However, for many digital consoles the relation of the physical inputs and outputs to the internal channels and mix buses are also defined by the console programming. Channel 1 in the console may be tied to physical input 1 but it could also be programmed to relate to any physical input including one on an expansion card. The left main mix bus could be routed to any physical output and even that assumes that there is a left main output and possibly how it relates to the other system connections. This flexibility can be a great advantage as it allows a console to be programmed to fit a variety of different physical configurations and systems, however it also means that the console programming needs to be configured or at least verified for use in a particular system.

Using an existing configuration file can expedite the programming of a digital mixer but if you're not careful it can also lead to unexpected or undesired results.

As an update, the board approved the purchase Monday night, and I received an email this afternoon that it arrived from Full Compass. Tomorrow will be Christmas for me when I stop in to pick it up and unpack it!

Congratulations. You will love it. We have had ours for 2 years now, and love it more each day. Feel free to add me to your lists of contacts if you run into any issues with it.

Enjoy!

~Dave

The slightest hike in budget and I'd be there! We're currently using a 01v96; they seem to be quite similar desks through my small amount of usage of the two.

Enjoy!

Congratulations. You will love it. We have had ours for 2 years now, and love it more each day. Feel free to add me to your lists of contacts if you run into any issues with it.

Enjoy!

~Dave

Will do, thanks! By the way, you're a not-horribly-too-long ferry ride across the pond from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back