What would you use?

BillESC

I've supplied audio and video the the fellowship hall of a large church for the overflow crowd of a funeral at a large church several times in the past couple of years.

For audio I've used an Audio Technica AT4040 studio condenser mic mounted on the face of the balcony and it has worked well.

What would you use?

That's probably as good a choice as any. If it were an option, I'd take a post-fader mix from the house console with the ambience mic added in. When mixed with PA mics, it would be important to put that mic at the front of the room to reduce the delay from the PA speakers. That would only work well if someone is competently mixing the PA. You really don't want a feed with the Pastor's lav mic on all the time.

Good idea in the perfect world.

Unfortunately, there is no one competently mixing the sound system, it is a set and forget I installed more than a decade ago.

As long as what's coming out of the mic you have still sounds good (clean, no noise, good ambience balance, you know the list), I don't see any reason why you ought to feel the need to replace it, myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back