Who makes a light console with presets?

Steve I don't get why you'd run it that way as opposed to writing a QStack and just using Cue # Go when you needed to jump scenes. It makes perfect sense if you have a tendency to run out of order though or theres no predefined order.

Steve I don't get why you'd run it that way as opposed to writing a QStack and just using Cue # Go when you needed to jump scenes. It makes perfect sense if you have a tendency to run out of order though or theres no predefined order.

I agree, but sometimes we really don't have the time.

The scenario is often this:

- Load-In AND focus occurring simultaneously at 8AM with house open at 9:30 for a first 1hr. (and ONLY 1hr. - to get kids moved on/off buses) show at 10:15AM. 2nd show is at 12 noon. Focus is 70 units including specials. Set is usually a unit/wall thingie with rolling pieces. Cast usually does install with house crew helping.

- Event SM has MAYBE 30 minutes to set/check all wireless mic's, set sound levels and set lighting looks. SM usually runs sound and calls lights.

Thus, it's far simpler for the SM to set a bunch of basic looks to call up - "Stand By Night", "Night GO". etc... rather then spend 15-20 minutes writing 25-50 cues.

If the event is a School Time 10:15 on a Thurs or Fri. it will often get held over for a Sat. Family Time matinee at 2PM, that might add any scenes to lengthen the time and/or it will be a more casual load-in at 10AM on a Sunday for a Family Time at 2PM, but return for slightly shorter shows at 10:15/12 noon School Time on Monday/Tuesday's, which means cutting scenes.

It's a waste of time to program a cue stack, especially as the SM in this type event (Theaterworks, American Theater Arts for Youth) does not send/require an advance light plot, except for "Basic wash, blue look, red look, 6 specials", etc.... thus has no channel hookup, so cannot call levels. 100% of the time, they program subs, with defined cross-fade times - "cross fades can be 5 counts", except for the occasional bump (run the sub fader full in zero). Thus I've found it easy to run stuff off subs w/ bump buttons having fade times. Makes it a bit more consistent, show to show.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Fair enough. For the record I hate shows like that :)

Me too.

Now I need to amke up something to fill out the post.

I have a new ETC conventional lighting system with a SmartFader 24/96 console. The SmartFader does not support presets. By presets, I am referring to assigning scenes to buttons on the console and playing the scenes back by simply pressing the appropriate buttons. It offers "stack" or "cue" mode, but not direct access to the scenes.

I need a console that will allow me to set a custom scene, then assign the scene to a button including the amount of time it takes to fade in. I should be able to recall the scene simply by pressing the button. I would like about 24 of these preset buttons.

Does anyone make a lighting console under $4000 with these features?
Try the Lehigh WAVE
Wave Series Control Consoles

Necropost Warning... this thread is a year and a half old.

As for the original question, hopefully the new console from ETC will do what he wants for about the price he wants... and it may be available as soon as two years after he asked the question. :mrgreen:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back