Who's working July 3?

I just finished unloading 2 trucks of Sound of Music set and soft goods. Tomorrow I have July 4 off, for the first time in almost 40 years.

I'm working today, but will add vacation hours to the holiday, for the rest of the week off.

Several years ago, we worked on Independence Day to do a live broadcast from a public park. It included a jazz big band doing the music for the fireworks show, so lots of mics and splits for the PA guy. I had to run about 600 feet of phone line for the ISDN connection to the studio. Our control room was a rented van because it can always rain on July 4th in Seattle, and it did drizzle when we got there. Early in the evening, the pyro tech came by to ask about the latency in the broadcast for their timing. I almost started to laugh because the guy looked like Edgar Montrose, the explosives "expert" from The Red Green Show. The only thing missing was smoke curling out from around his collar.

Edgar_Montrose.jpg

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Went in for a company training seminar and then did some work for our job next weekend.

Bill, you were my first thought upon reading the article:

A worker contracted to help set up for the NASCAR Street Race in Chicago has died after being electrocuted.

Duane Tabinski, 53, was killed on Friday while installing audio equipment, the Cook County Medical Examiner reports.

Well, right after the "dies from electrocution" part. People just don't get what that means, do they?

Bill, you were my first thought upon reading the article:

Well, right after the "dies from electrocution" part. People just don't get what that means, do they?
"Electrocution," by definition, means the victim died.

And it's one of those things that sets me off (appropriate for the 4th of July!). Nobody should be injured or die from electricity.

Now that I've read a couple articles... I know the victim. Duane Tabinski was from Canada and I worked with him several times here in Kansas, where he married a local lady and eventually moved to Nashville and started Duane Productions.

I'm shocked (no pun intended) to learn it was he who died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back