Wierd Things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoatdv

In the spirit of the old What Went Wrong forums:

Apparently it it entirely possible to dead hang truss off of the venue's descent looking ladders, then while fixing cables have the ladder sorta twist and start collapsing. While said ladder is attempting to collapse it is also possible to hold onto the truss and untwist the ladder with your feet. Yeah... that ladder got condemned... and the owner got a lecture when we were told yeah, it does that sometimes!

Apparently it is also entirely possible to knock out a large chunk of ceiling plaster while working, freak out the ground riggers, and proceed to finish and climb down without realizing that the ground riggers think you've fallen onto the plaster and are planning a rescue mission! Apparently they didn't realize I left my radio downstairs and when I didn't answer freaked out. A bit amusing when I get down to a bunch of people saying "oh my gosh your ok" when absolutely nothing (that you know of) has gone wrong!

So, whats your weirdest problems?

In the spirit of the old What Went Wrong forums:

Apparently it it entirely possible to dead hang truss off of the venue's descent looking ladders, then while fixing cables have the ladder sorta twist and start collapsing. While said ladder is attempting to collapse it is also possible to hold onto the truss and untwist the ladder with your feet. Yeah... that ladder got condemned... and the owner got a lecture when we were told yeah, it does that sometimes!

And why did we think this was a good idea to start with? I hope this was simply to rig the truss before flying it out? Even then, roadcases are your friend.

Apparently it is also entirely possible to knock out a large chunk of ceiling plaster while working, freak out the ground riggers, and proceed to finish and climb down without realizing that the ground riggers think you've fallen onto the plaster and are planning a rescue mission! Apparently they didn't realize I left my radio downstairs and when I didn't answer freaked out. A bit amusing when I get down to a bunch of people saying "oh my gosh your ok" when absolutely nothing (that you know of) has gone wrong!

That would get a lecture from me about not having some way to communicate in an emergency. My crew leaves their radios lying around the shop, and when something goes wrong that I need people to come help, no one can get hold of them. I want to throw their radios at them sometimes. It's also not the riggers' job to know whether you left that radio somewhere or if you have it about your person. I probably would be right with them planning that rescue.

Yeah, neither of those things should have been allowed to happen...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

And why did we think this was a good idea to start with? I hope this was simply to rig the truss before flying it out? Even then, roadcases are your friend.

Oh, the truss was not on the ladder, I was while dead hanging the truss. Truss was dead hung off beams (using appropriate hardware and beams!). There wasn't power for chain motors.

That would get a lecture from me about not having some way to communicate in an emergency. My crew leaves their radios lying around the shop, and when something goes wrong that I need people to come help, no one can get hold of them. I want to throw their radios at them sometimes. It's also not the riggers' job to know whether you left that radio somewhere or if you have it about your person. I probably would be right with them planning that rescue.

Venue policy there is nothing taken in the air that could fall (inc radios).

Then what are you doing in the air? Playing rock paper scissors? Tools can fall too. Radios can be tethered and clear communication when people are in the air is paramount for safety.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What went wrong was gone for a reason. This exact reason. Thread locked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back