Wiggy

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
A solenoid-based, approximate voltage tester preferred by many older electricians.
proxy.php

69115_icon.jpg
Wiggy® Voltage Tester

From http://www.flukecommunity.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-1898.html :
The term "WIGGY" comes from the wigginton style tester manufactured origionaly by the "Detroit Electric Co." Just so you know....... And it was an extremely rugged solenoid tester where there was a scale in the front. The stronger the voltage, the more the plunger moved into the coil. If it vibrated you were testing A/C If it deflected and didnt vibrate it was D/C. In the top there was a round permenant magnet that had a pin through it. If the red probe was + the red side of the magnet was uo... if the black side was up the black probe. The tool was used by electricians, and techs for first line testing. Ahhhhhhh things were so simple back then. For those who may be interested ... I came into the trade just after Dinosaures became extinct. So of course I had a couple over the years.. It was capable of testing about 90V to 600 volts if I remember right. Why the D/C you may ask?...lol Well back in the dark ages the power companies used to sell D/C power along with the A/C. in fact there was complete zones where only D/C was available. In fact just recently Con-Edison get getting out of selling D/C in NYC. Sorry about ranting on and on... but I felt a little history of the tool couldnt hurt. By the way... Man you guys make me feel old.....lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back