The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Windows Audio Recording/Editing

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by greghouse, Aug 9, 2008.

1. greghouse

greghouse Member

I have been a mac user forever, and use the AudioHijack Pro/Fission bundle and LOVE it. The only problem is, I am leaving my church for college, and they only have a windows machine. Are there any comparable programs for windows?

edit: A friend suggested Sony Acid, is that comparale to Audition?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. satriasound

satriasound Member

well, audio hijack is a generic recording program that rips to mp3 on the fly (among other formats)... I don't know of a program for windows that links directly into another program the way hijack does, but I can tell you a method that does work for me...

I know adobe audition (formerly syntrillium's Cool Edit Pro) can handle editing whatever you want as far as audio goes, and it reads/saves mp3s (as well as the usual smattering of uncompressed formats). it does not deal with apple's proprietary AAC format however. you can also use it to record whatever is being output by any given program by simply telling it to record whatever is coming out of your line out on your sound card. not quite as clean as hijack's method but it works (just make sure you don't have a system "ding" or nething. lol..) most audio editors have this capability. but since audition is 300 bucks....

if you need a free editor that can likely do this, check into Audacity. it's not the greatest in the world, but it's ok for basic work. it's also multi platform.

3. BNBSound

BNBSound Active Member

Check out Reaper by Cokos Media. It's a freeware, open source DAW that was designed to satisfy Pro-Tools users but not overwhelm newbies. It's free and not hard to get used to. It's also getting better by the week.

4. Sony

Sony Active Member

Freelance Electrician/Rigger
    I also recommend Audacity if you need something free, I've used it a few times. It can be a bit crude but it gets the job done, especially if you're not doing anything overly complex.

5. jkowtko

jkowtko Active Member

Check out Goldwave -- it's a pretty standard choice, at least amongst Windows users. It has most all of the editing features you could want, and rips CDs as well. At $45 it was one of my best purchases in the last couple of years.

6. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

I second the motion for Adobe Audition. We use it daily in our radio studios, and everyone seems satisfied with it.

7. farmerjo1111

farmerjo1111 Member

This is what I use and it works great.