Wire Rope Saddle Clamps...

Dionysus

2015-09-15 16.15.06.jpg

This is a newly renovated bridge in London, Ontario on Richmond Street.
On one side the Saddle clamps are installed one way, and on the other side.... At least the saddle clamps aren't installed both ways on both sides right?

I'm going to say when they turned the turnbuckles that the wire rope rotated. The rule I have always heard was never saddle a dead horse aka the small side of the rope on the thimble.

Ugh. So much "wrong" happening here.

I know... Its freaking WRONG. And it's on a bridge that gets HEAVY traffic both car/truck and pedestrian. I hadn't been stuck in traffic on it before and actually looking around... Stuck in traffic and WHAT THE HECK?!?
I was not impressed.

Indeed "NEVER SADDLE A DEAD HORSE", essentially the "u-bolt" part opposite the saddle bites into the cable, which damages and weakens it.

I'm going to guess these are not anything holding the bridge up, but rather for "traffic retention issues", i.e. a guardrail. Figure if I hit that wire rope hard enough to make it fail, I've got larger problems. But hey, I like to drive fast and take chances, so maybe it's just me. :dance:

I'm going to guess these are not anything holding the bridge up, but rather for "traffic retention issues", i.e. a guardrail.

That's what I was thinking. I've seen "decorative" wire rope railings before, I think there are some at Downtown Disney in Lake Buena Vista. I wondered at the time if there are specific rules for using that hardware in that situation or if it's a quarter-turn-past-snug dead reckoning sort of thing.

One of my favorite things to do with my tech theatre students when we learn about rigging is to have them go and find rigging hardware in real life and take pictures of it. Then we look critically at the usage and analyze if it could be done better. It's interesting because there is a lot of hardware that's shared between industries and not everyone has the same playbook. But if you want to see some messed up rigging, visit your local playground. It's rare I don't see something questionable on a swingset or playset in a public park.

At least the eyebolts look to be forged lol

Playground rigging can be interesting, especially on swings. I like to look at the chain shackles most of the ones in my city hang from and see what kind of material loss we're dealing with. :doh:

But nothing, and I mean nuh-huh-thing tops the jankiness of traveling carnivals or your local pumpkin patch in October that has kiddy rides. My kids may be bummed for me not letting them ride those rides, but they are alive to grow up and hate me more when they're teenagers. :boohoo:

But nothing, and I mean nuh-huh-thing tops the jankiness of traveling carnivals or your local pumpkin patch in October that has kiddy rides.

I've often thought that. "This ride was set up by someone who this was the best job they could get." Though, is anyone aware of actual failures?

I feel that they are ran by different people then whole set them up. Only cause after going to the Walworth Co Fair and looking at the staff taking tickets mostly teenagers. I don't think they would be the ones putting these things together.

@kicknargel The only ones that come to mind are the slingshot fails that I occasionally see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back