Wireless Wireless headsets in the booth

• Thread starterDeleted member 15987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15987

Stupid question: Wireless headsets are typically for long-distance communication, right? Ordinarily, they'd be used to communicate backstage or with the house manager or somewhere that would require a walk to get to. So, if the stage manager is sitting in the booth right next to the sound and light board operators, a headset isn't really needed, is it? The SM should have one, but the board ops don't really need one, do they? This is college theatre if that makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
My general rule of thumb is that if someone is taking cues from the SM they need to have a headset, regardless of where they are in proximity of the Stage Manager. This is so that all the cues and other relevant communication can be heard and communicated clearly and to hopefully avoid outside interference.

As for the wireless headsets, to me they would be most useful for someone who is moving around a lot that way they don't get tangled up with a wired headset system. So yes you are correct, if walking distance is a factor a wireless headset would be ideal. For a board op, a wired comm box is perfect as they should hopefully be staying close to whatever board they are operating on.

Also welcome to CB! Head on over to the New Member Forum and introduce yourself! :)

Distance has nothing to do with wireless or wired. The primary concerns are convenience, safety and cost. If you prefer a wireless mouse or keyboard, chances are you'll prefer a wireless headset. Even there you have options, wired to a belt pack or blue tooth to a belt-pack or desk unit. If you are running a console, wired is only a convenience, not a necessity. If you're a spot op in a booth, a wire is a minor hassle. If you're a spot op in a truss chair, more so. A umbilical wired headset on a fly rail can pose definite hazards and easily become a safety issue.

Now, as for headset need, EVERYONE who needs to hear cues or information NEEDS a headset. Without a headset, ambient noise and normal distractions can completely distract a crew person. Who NEEDS to hear a cue? Board ops, spot ops, FX ops, crew heads. Also, rehearsals may show that others need to hear some or all cues. Hope this helps.

for that matter there are lots of times that a stage manager isn't up in a booth right next to board ops. They are just as often... managing the stage from one of the wings with monitors and comms.

I'd try to have a combination of wired and wireless so that everyone who needs a headset gets one -- wireless for members on deck who need the freedom, and wired for those in one place who don't need to move around as much (board ops, SM)

I am new to this forum. I am not tech savvy. I need help finding an adequate SM communication system for a non profit, volunteer community theater running assemblies at schools and Shakespeare in the Park,(ie we perform in a variety of venues) We do have a soundcart we could wire a base unit into. We have been using eartec TD-900 w/4 headsets but it is ALWAYS buzzing and static. I found this forum looking into just replacing 2 bad headsets (mics no longer work) but am now interested in upgrading if its possible for our budget constraints. THANK YOU for helping.

Hey, a couple of new folks right here in this thread! Welcome. Sorry, LaRee, but I don't have an answer to your question, but I will say to the OP..... I do not mix audio and wear a headset. No exceptions. If it's a heavily cued show I'll need an assistant to be on com, and if there are a lot of SFX cues he/she will be the one triggering those. I've never understood how anyone could mix a show well while wearing a headset. Too much talk about things not audio related. I don't care about spot cues, curtain pulls, etc. If I'm wearing a headset then I might as well be listening to a book on tape or something else totally unrelated to the show.

... I need help finding an adequate SM communication system for ...
Go with a WIRED (using standard microphone cable) system from Clear-Com, Telex/RTS, or PRO INTERCOM LLC (formerly Production Intercom). RIEDEL.net > Home is great too, but more expensive than the others. Perhaps consider a used system, see Sources for Used Equipment - ControlBooth . Some companies are moving away from analog to fully digital systems, and selling their old intercom gear, which would be fine for your use.

A wireless headset is ALWAYS a luxury/convenience, not a necessity, or god-given right. There's NO reason a board or followspot operator NEEDS a wireless headset. I've run tons of shows with the SR and SL ASM s, and the flypersons, on 50' cables. May be inconvenient, but it's significantly less expensive and arguably more reliable.

... I do not mix audio and wear a headset. No exceptions. ...
Understandable for an audio mixer. But you DO have a blazon and handset in case YOU need to communicate with someone, don't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back