Wireless Microphones Information

peacefulone61

I have been looking to add a few more wireless mics to our inventory. But I know that there have been a lot of changes since the last time I had purchased. I was wondering if someone could help me out with some basic information to hep me become a more informed consumer and tech. What is the main difference between UHF VHF and digital? Do you need a licence to have wireless mics of any frequencies or are there only certain ones? Besides the 700's are there frequencies that should be avoided like the 900's? I have notices a lot of brands out there that I have never worked with, I am open to try new companies if there are any suggestions.

I am looking basically for two handheld units, these will be used by guest speakers mostly talking some singing. I would like them to be somewhat durable because they will be used in a portable system that is lent out to the athletics department as well as the student groups. Most of the time the mics will be within 50' of the receiver but would like to get up to about 100' if posible.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Matt.

Sennheisers are quite durable (IMO).

As far as I know, for wireless mics you don't need a license to use most wireless mics.

I dint know much about other manufacturers though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For handhelds I use Shure and Electro Voice. Both have been great. My Shure mics are approx 15 years old and some of the best hand helds I have ever had.

You do not need a license to operate a standard microphone. You cannot operate any microphone that operates in the 700 MHz frequency thanks to the gov for selling that to AT&T and Verizon. Refer to the other thread about why you should stay away from the 900 MHz range. Other than that, just read reviews on mics.

I'll second chausman, Sennheisers are also very reliable.

I have had great luck with my 20 Shure SLX units, and 22 ULX units. Sennheiser makes great products too. I have also heard great reviews from users of the new Line6 wireless products. As others have said, you do not need a license to operate these types of wireless systems.

The main difference between the VHF and UHF systems is the frequencies they broadcast on. You will find the vast majority of newer systems broadcasting in the UHF spectrum, or higher.

Since you are using these as part of a portable system, be sure you purchase units that are frequency agile (allow you to retune to different frequencies within a range if you encounter interference). This is increasingly important as the FCC reallocates parts of the wireless spectrum

The FCC has established two reserved TV channels (above and below channel 37) in each city where TV stations are not permitted to broadcast. Looking to the future, I would recommend that, if you purchase a UHF system, give strong consideration to making sure it can operate in this area.

~Dave

Audio Technica's 2000 series ($ 349.00 MAP) or 3000 series ($ 499.00 MAP) would be my suggestion. Excellent fidelity, one button frequency scanning, rack ears included and battery life of the transmitter available on the receiver.

I have several hundred of these unit out in the field and rarely have reports of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back