Wireless monitor headphones?

jkowtko

Without going to an IEM, has anyone used wireless headphones for monitoring the board while you walk around with your wireless control interface?

If so, please share experience and recommendations.

Thanks. John

I tried this years ago with just the headphones.
Horrible RF dropouts and overall dismal sound quality compared to wired.

The technology has undoubtedly improved since then.
But you're still looking at spending probably $200-300 for decent wireless headphones.
Low end IEM's can be had for about $400.

I have used some and they worked fairly well. Remember to take into account interference and poor sound quality. So in short, it is an okay solution for walking around but not a replacement to the regular headphones at the board.

Similar experience to avkid. Tried them a while ago but had so many problems that I've never tried them again.

Also really didn't like having to charge the batteries in headphones in order for them to work on a daily basis...

Depending on how far you need to walk around, Bluetooth headphones work great (range is only 10m). No static or dropouts but you have to keep them charged.

Audio on a bluetooth headset is really poor quality unless you start getting into adaptive differential encoding algorithms, and compatible transmitters aren't generally available in consumer electronics. The latency translating and transmitting via Bluetooth would drive me nuts for live audio. Try watching a Youtube video using a bluetooth headset for the pleasant experience of seeing the explosion then hearing it a second or so later.

There are consumer grade FM headsets that would be a better choice as long as you can place the base station appropriately. My wife loves her Sony cordless headphones. The charger is integrated into the base station.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back