The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

WIRELESS POWER EXISTS!

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by CavezziMagnum, Sep 11, 2008.

1. CavezziMagnum

CavezziMagnum Member

To those of you who have been waiting. It has arrived. Finally, the world now has wireless power. Doug Freenor has produced a wireless power source called the LED100. Not only does it have power, but it operates DMX too! For further info, check out the LiveDesign website. I was impressed with it and can think of numerous situations already where I wish I had it.

Posing Question/Challenge: What situations can CB Users think of to use this amazing technology?

here is the link for the Live Design site:
    LDI Product Pick: LED100 From Doug Fleenor Design | Doug Fleenor Design’s LED100 is a 100W wireless power source that supplies power and data for up to two Philips Solid-State Solutions ColorBlast LED fixtures or Altman Lighting SpectraPARs, as well

2. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And it says its battery powered, not exactly wireless electricity.... seems like a nice idea though, combine the battery pack and the WDMX receiver.

3. indyLD

indyLD Member

Didn't Intel recently send 60W of power using magnetic fields. Now that's real wireless power although I can't believe that the energy transfer is that efficient.

60w sure is quite a lot of LED fixtures.

4. gafftaper

gafftaper Senior Team Senior Team Fight Leukemia

Theater Manager & T.D.
    I thought this was another one of Doug Fleenor's joke products (like the DMX coffee pot) until I read the details.

5. zac850

zac850 Well-Known Member

Yea, but the problem is distance, I don't think it works past a few feet because of the magnetic field.

Also, my point is that we've had wireless electricity for billions of years, its called lightning.

6. DaveySimps

DaveySimps CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Performing Arts Center Manager
    I prefer the DMX Shock Collar or DMX Etch-a- Sketch myself. :lol:

~Dave

7. Kelite

Kelite Apollo Staff Premium Member

Yes, there is truly a difference between sending data via wireless and sending real power via the same.

8. Fireguy551

Fireguy551 Member

I think Nikola Tesla invented wireless power a long time ago. The problem is that noonw can walk in between the source and the item being powered or you get fried.

9. philhaney

philhaney CBMod CB Mods

Even though it's not a joke product, I like the description of the Apathy in their Home Movies Volume 1 (the Apathy segment starts at 5:14). :lol:

Remote control lighting in a set piece that rolls on and off stage (during scene changes) that has lighting effects in it where you don't want to have to run cables or worry about plugging it in? (Like a Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror show with a computer, mad scientist gizmo, etc.)

10. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

11. SerraAva

SerraAva Active Member

Fireguy551 is correct in that wireless power was indeed invented by Nikola Tesla. He built a massive Tesla coil in Colorado I believe, which could power lights miles away. There is a famous photo of him holding a glowing light bulb, which he did often to entertain guests. Wireless power was slated for New York originally, but he lost funding.

There is a group who is now working with a huge Tesla coil and rediscovering all of Tesla's findings. They are trying to get the funding to build a massive Tesla coil like Tesla had in Colorado or wherever it was he had it.

12. icewolf08

icewolf08 CBMod CB Mods

Controls Technician - TAIT Towers
    In light of that, I would just like to say that since that show to which the thread Derek has linked to is about I have used those wireless dimmers in every show we have done! We used them to power the pigeon coop lights in "The Producers" and we are using them now in scenery that lives on a half donut revolve that can't trail cables. Needless to say I am getting quite familiar with 12 volt gear! It is really great. Battery powered gear is a great.

13. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

I'm late in chiming in but I had to show up at 10am way to many times to talk about this subject not to respond. Magnetic fields are a great way to produce and/or transfer power just look at any hydro electric dam. but the thing about that is that it's within close proximity for it to have any usable efficiency. If someone wants me to get into the math I will but a quick wikipedia refresher made me cringe.
    The basic story is that if I wind a coil 120 times and send 1A at 60V through it in the near proximity to a coil wrapped 2 times it will get 1V and I believe 60A (once again remembering a subject I didn't like much). What I do remember is magnetic power all has to do with Emf (similar to voltage) being produced to counteract what exists in the current environment.
    Basically long story short yes over a small gap you can transfer energy, but if a breaker pops up on the grid your still gonna have to climb.