wireless speaker boxes?

len

Have a repeat client who asked us to do audio for the next event. It's a fashion show and dance party in a room about 40 x 80 x 18 high so audio needs aren't huge. Last year we had 2 small subs and 4 jbl vrx932 tops and it was killer. They asked about wireless speakers for this year. I'm unclear why they asked, but in the past it's been totally unnecessary. Typically, the speakers just go at the upstage edge of the stage, dj off to the side, and done.

Anyway, is there a wireless speaker? If not, I'm guessing I'll probably need to use a wireless mic and modify that, although the idea doesn't thrill me. Further, if the speaker box is active (and I don't see how a wireless passive box could work), I'm still using a power cord. So I don't know the point of all this, but I have to ask so I can tell the client they're barking at the moon.

I use wireless mic systems frequently to send signal to my active speakers. You can also feed the amp of a passive system using the same set up.

In the picture below, the transmitter is atop the speaker at the corner of the building and the receiver is behind the white door of the building across the parking lot.

proxy.php

Wireless applications and solutions such as Bill showed are pretty common as are some larger scale application such as outdoor concerts with delay towers or arrays, however wireless speakers for commercial/professional applications in 80'x40' rooms are not. And you're right that whether it is a powered speaker or a speaker and separate amplifier, unless you go with a battery powered speaker you would still need some form of power at each speaker location.

If you wanted as wireless as possible, something like dB TECHNOLOGIES: Active Speakers Battery Powered Speakers Opera 110 Mobile might fit the bill, but I doubt it would last the entire event off the battery.

All they wanted was to get sound to a second room. Cabling would be difficult, since going indoors would require crossing stairs, entrances, etc.

So to make it easy, we'll just go out the window, over the entrance, and back in the window, and cover the connections with waterproof tape.

Using a wireless mic system is possible, but really iffy since the building is 90 years old with thick stone walls and we couldn't guarantee signal quality. Fortunately, we don't have to worry about a delay since the rooms are fairly isolated from each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back