Wireless Static Build-up

firewater88

Did a search, found a few posts, but nothing definitive on this:

During last performance, had one actor have a staticy sound when on stage. I first thought it was the lav cable going bad, so I replaced the Sennheiser MKE2 mic with a Countryman E6i w/ 2mm cable. The problem went away initially and came back. I then checked the connection at the end of the boom and re-checked everything and it still happened. Changed to another mic lav again (all in one show) and it continued. Assumed a loose conection inside the pack. Finally just switched her to one of the old backup AT3000's and she was fine for the rest of the show.
The following day I did some diagnosis before show with the original wireless, an AKG DSR700. I put the first lav back on and shook the pack and the cable and could not get any static or pop noise to occur. Opened up the pack and everything looked solid. Tried again with both Countryman E6's and still no pop or static. I shook the pack, twisted the cables from bottom to top and all I got was good audio. Also did a complete freq scan and did not find anything interfering, but I did change the freq of that one pack, just in case.
So, question is- can the DSR700 pack, metal body, cause or receive static build up charge? The AT3000 is a plastic pack and was not affected. I was told later that there seemed to be a lot of static buildup in the building, noticed by the costumer and not keeping the dress' from clinging to actors. We use homemade elastic belts with fabric pouches for the transmitter. Any good way to prevent this? (If that is what it was) Or just chalk it up to an electromagnetic personality for that actor?

Last edited:
If it's a sennheiser pack, I've had that issue when the screw connector is not all the way down. It can be very transient especially with an actor that likes to fiddle with things.

Could be some other piece of equipment was running during the show that was throwing a harmonic out that interfered with the frequency that pack was on.
Also, you may want to change the flexible whip antenna. Had a problem once that had me running around in circles. when I finally got to the bottom of it, I found the core wire in the antenna actually had a break inside. Pack worked great on the bench, but when it was a distance from the receiver, the compromised antenna was causing problems. Couldn't see or feel it until I took a knife and stripped the rubber off.

Good work on the troubleshooting. Given the costumer's observations, I would say yes, it was static electricity. Just because the case is metal doesn't mean the charge couldn't go in on the mic cable or through the antenna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back