Wireless Video System

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
Does anyone know of any kind of reliable wireless video systems, to go from a Macbook Pro to a VGA splitter? I would assume that something is available, at some great expense, but I'm not sure how to begin looking for something like this. The content would be Keynote presentations. I'm not sure of the distance, but I think it's about 30' at most. At this point, this is more of an idea someone had, so budget isn't really important. I'd at least like a minimum price for something of adequate quality. Any ideas.

Chase, I'm not Derek, but I do have a simple rule...
If it's show critical, use cable.

Even the most reliable of wireless systems can be compromised on show day by an unexpected interference source...

What kind of resolution are you trying to send? (VGA = 640x480 in resolution terms, VGA is often synonymous with the D-sub 15 pin connection used for analog transmission of video data which is what I think you mean)

Wireless transmission of video data will greatly increase in price the higher resolution which you intend to transmit. The more reliable you want your signal, then you will also spend more to get off of commonly used bandwidth (like 2.4 gHz).

What kind of resolution are you trying to send? (VGA = 640x480 in resolution terms, VGA is often synonymous with the D-sub 15 pin connection used for analog transmission of video data which is what I think you mean)

Wireless transmission of video data will greatly increase in price the higher resolution which you intend to transmit. The more reliable you want your signal, then you will also spend more to get off of commonly used bandwidth (like 2.4 gHz).

640x480 is most likely what they'll want to send. Personally, I don't really want to mess with wireless, especially with something as trivial as video, when VGA is already run to the projectors (above the gym), and to a convenient place. I think a balun to go from the second floor loft to the ground floor would be more appropriate. I at least want to find some products, (and hopefully an outrageous price tag) to hopefully steer them away from that idea.

That's pretty low resolution for a presentation. My guess is that they will at least want 1024x768. I have seen a few that were OK with that, but it depends on the noise of the spectrum you choose as to the reliability. I agree with Chris that if at all possible, stay wired.

The BARE MINIMUM would be 800x600, but I'd be complaining pretty loudly about anything less than 1024x768, ie. XGA resolution if I were presenting...

The BARE MINIMUM would be 800x600, but I'd be complaining pretty loudly about anything less than 1024x768, ie. XGA resolution if I were presenting...

Ok... so I wasn't really told much about it. ;) so if we are going to assume 1024x768, then that's a good place to start. I found this (Gefen, LLC - Wireless VGA Extender LR (Long Range)) for a measly $600.

Things that strike me as deal breakers for the whole concept, would be
  • Requires (possibly bulky) transmitter and receiver, which both require external power.
  • Not reliable.
  • Expensive.
  • Not reliable.
  • Unnecessary
  • Not reliable.

Did I forget anything?

Chausman, why haven't you thought of an AppleTV and OSX 10.8? You can mirror your computer screen right on the AppleTV very similar to how you can mirror your iOS device on AppleTV. Oh yeah, OSX 10.8 isn't "officially" out yet... I would use a cable until this fall or find OSX 10.8 (not that I'm suggesting anything...)

Edit: You could also download an app (the name esacpes me) that adds a second screen to your computer via wifi. Then mirror that to an AppleTV or get a DVI connector for the iOS device.

Experience tells me that most Keynote presentations are only 1/8th content, with the rest being fancy animations. This presents a problem as with most remoting/screen-sharing system you'll have issues with animations and videos. It's possible to tweak settings enough to get a low-latency video "stream" going, but your network better be reliable - especially for videos with sound.

Experience tells me that most Keynote presentations are only 1/8th content, with the rest being fancy animations. This presents a problem as with most remoting/screen-sharing system you'll have issues with animations and videos. It's possible to tweak settings enough to get a low-latency video "stream" going, but your network better be reliable - especially for videos with sound.

Latency shouldn't be an issue since all of the content would be delayed together. The only delay "issue" would be when you change slides it would take a second or so before it changed, but that's expected even when you hardwire a projector and use a remote.

I had thought about AirPlay. However, I don't know if it will send audio out the headphone jack or the Apple TV, and if the two MacBooks we have even work with AirPlay. I think one of them might be too old.

I had thought about AirPlay. However, I don't know if it will send audio out the headphone jack or the Apple TV, and if the two MacBooks we have even work with AirPlay. I think one of them might be too old.

Airplay does intact send audio along with video. I use it all the time. Any mac that is able to run OSX 10.8 should work with Airplay. It seems (in recent news) that Apple is phasing out macs that won't fully work with the OS. Luckily my 4-year old youngster is capable.

Latency shouldn't be an issue since all of the content would be delayed together. The only delay "issue" would be when you change slides it would take a second or so before it changed, but that's expected even when you hardwire a projector and use a remote.

Saying that a one- or two- second delay when using a remote is "acceptable" is wrong - at least if the user is a frequent, experienced presenter. The slide should advance the moment you press the button, otherwise the user may instinctively press it again, even if warned of the delay.

Depending on the screen sharing system, it may also update one section of the screen before the rest - a really unprofessional look. AirPlay would probably do a better job of this, as it is designed specifically for visual quality.

Saying that a one- or two- second delay when using a remote is "acceptable" is wrong - at least if the user is a frequent, experienced presenter. The slide should advance the moment you press the button, otherwise the user may instinctively press it again, even if warned of the delay.

Depending on the screen sharing system, it may also update one section of the screen before the rest - a really unprofessional look. AirPlay would probably do a better job of this, as it is designed specifically for visual quality.

One second would be acceptable. But that's a matter of opinion. Airplay, per my suggestion, wouldn't have any delays.

Airplay does intact send audio along with video. I use it all the time.
The audio is transmitted, but the only audio outputs on an Apple TV are embedded audio on the HDMI output or TOSLINK S/PDIF digital audio. HDCP can also be an issue with Apple TV and since they were asking about feeding a VGA splitter rather than a HDCP compliant HDMI input that could get interesting.

According to Apple's published OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion tech specs, AirPlay mirroring requires a second or third generation Apple TV and is only supported for mid 2011 or newer iMacs, mac minis or MacBook Airs and early 2011 or newer MacBook Pros. Not relevant here since the source is a MacBook Pro, but note that AirPlay mirroring is apparently not supported for Mac Pros even with OS X 10.8.

Last edited:
I have no experience with pro video. But I have some thoughts anyway...

Do you have to stream live?

Can't you place a computer close to the projector, upload the slides before the show. During the show the only thing you do wirelessly(is that a word?) is tell the computer to change slide. This would give you less problem with streaming video and whatever.

Just a thought. Upload all the heavy data before the show.

And what are your experiences with that Derek? Are any of them reliable? Would you trust them?
No experience. The last time I needed wireless video, I used a Rabbit. Note the date of the article. ;)

wpid-41z6wcfnatlsl500.jpg
http://accessories.blogdetik.com/files/2010/10/wpid-41z6wcfnatlsl500.jpg

And I agree 1000% with Chris15's "If it's show critical, use cable."
"A $5000 wireless mic system will sound almost as good, and be almost as reliable, as a $10 cable."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back