Wiz of Oz head puppet

Jon Majors

I want to create a large head puppet just like the one below. I'm having trouble finding the perfect foam to use. I need a large roll of it, the larger the sheet the better. I've checked Joanne's and ULine. I was advised to use 2mm EVA foam but I would need a base layer with that. It also has to accept paint really well. I also thought about a large carpet pad but that doesn't accept paint well at all. Any suggestions for your prop masters?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.04.17 AM.png

Personally, I'd build an armature of Lath, Rattan or similar. I'd probably use EPS or Bead foam attached to the armature. this will require fitting the blocks used just like stone work. Good job for the Minecraft Kids. Once you have enough layers built up start your actual sculpting. Finish by sanding everything, you'll be amazed at what a smooth finish you can get from Bead foam. Then base/seal with Shellac, or even better "Killz".

EVA is great for Mask making, and cosplay prop making buy it is EXTREMELY expensive for building a prop of this size. it also would require some pretty extensive patternmaking skills to develop the results seen above. Also, the depths of the craving require for the above are going to require a much thicker foam than 2mm. 20mm Maybe. If you've never done Pattern making for Masks or props it's a very extensive process that often times requires you to make a full sized mock-up in the first place. It's possible, if you have the right software to develop a pattern in software then plot out the patterns in full-size. but again it takes quite a bit of skill and a LOT of fitting, trimming, refitting, trimming too much, starting over, getting mad.... There are a lot of really talented Props makers here, so someone may come along and tell you a different way.

Personally, I'd build an armature of Lath, Rattan or similar. I'd probably use EPS or Bead foam attached to the armature. this will require fitting the blocks used just like stone work. Good job for the Minecraft Kids. Once you have enough layers built up start your actual sculpting. Finish by sanding everything, you'll be amazed at what a smooth finish you can get from Bead foam. Then base/seal with Shellac, or even better "Killz".

EVA is great for Mask making, and cosplay prop making buy it is EXTREMELY expensive for building a prop of this size. it also would require some pretty extensive patternmaking skills to develop the results seen above. Also, the depths of the craving require for the above are going to require a much thicker foam than 2mm. 20mm Maybe. If you've never done Pattern making for Masks or props it's a very extensive process that often times requires you to make a full sized mock-up in the first place. It's possible, if you have the right software to develop a pattern in software then plot out the patterns in full-size. but again it takes quite a bit of skill and a LOT of fitting, trimming, refitting, trimming too much, starting over, getting mad.... There are a lot of really talented Props makers here, so someone may come along and tell you a different way.

The instructions for this created by the artist say to use a large foam sheets, similar to high density foam, and make the frame from PVC. The "sculpting" is actually just done with the paint. He didn't sculpt the foam.

Yeah, I went back and looked up his process on Instructables. I was misinterpreting what I was looking at. PVC is a great armature for lightweight construction.

Yeah, I went back and looked up his process on Instructables. I was misinterpreting what I was looking at. PVC is a great armature for lightweight construction.
By bead foam, are you thinking polystyrene? I bought 1/2" material and it doesn't take paint well, nor does it bend very well.I'd prefer an 8x8 sheet of something. Carpet padding seemed pppeerrrfffeeecccttt!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back