Working at Heights Practices

Most hotels around here won't let you on a ladder of lift due to their maintenance unions contracts.

Does their maintenance union hang lights? Because otherwise that could be impossible without a ladder or a lift (hanging lights off a ladder massively sucking of course)

I wouldn't say most if you include hotels with ballrooms. Most of them say do you know how to drive a lift? ok cool its over there.

A fair portion of the ballrooms around here won't let you do anything that requires a lift unless you're from a specified vendor, but in other cases your summary is usually how it works.

I would really like to know if he was using the outriggers or not. :-/

I know from several sessions at USITT that there is a lot of debate going on in the industry concerning if a fall arrest harness is needed in a Genie, and where to clip it to. Genie says to clip it to the basket, but apparently that makes a lot of people very uncomfortable.

I took a lift class for using our Genie mast lift after our district's insurance deemed it necessary (granted the training was for boom and scissor lifts and the instructor knew less about mast lifts than us, but whatever). In the Genie manual we were using there was nothing about clipping in. This was a newer 36s. We got into the same debate with our instructor who wanted us to clip into the 1/4" diameter D-Ring mounted bolted to the mast. There's no way that's rated hardware and nowhere in the manual did it indicate you should trust it with your life.

Not trying to be argumentative at all here, I'm just trying to get better info- where does Genie specifically say you should clip into in the bucket? It makes me uncomfortable just because I've never seen any evidence that it's any safer than not clipping in. Will a fall actually topple the mast?

I took a lift class for using our Genie mast lift after our district's insurance deemed it necessary (granted the training was for boom and scissor lifts and the instructor knew less about mast lifts than us, but whatever). In the Genie manual we were using there was nothing about clipping in. This was a newer 36s. We got into the same debate with our instructor who wanted us to clip into the 1/4" diameter D-Ring mounted bolted to the mast. There's no way that's rated hardware and nowhere in the manual did it indicate you should trust it with your life.

Not trying to be argumentative at all here, I'm just trying to get better info- where does Genie specifically say you should clip into in the bucket? It makes me uncomfortable just because I've never seen any evidence that it's any safer than not clipping in. Will a fall actually topple the mast?

I was only posting what i was remember hearing from a USITT session. I'm going to be researching this issue further.

My Genie lift includes a rated clip-in point and my jurisdiction requires the use of a harness and lanyard (PPE). Actually the interpretation of the law is not quite as clear-cut as that. PPE is required for boom lifts at all times. Scissor lifts and their ilk only require PPE if the "vehicle" is moving horizontally while above 2.4m.

Clearly the railing is the primary safety feature but the lanyard makes it much more difficult to do stupid things like standing on said railing. I suppose there's always a chance of ejection in any moving lift, however remote it may be for a mast lift on a level stage.

http://www.labour.gc.ca/eng/resources/ipg/065.shtml

Edited to add: None of these regulations actually apply to my venue because we are all-volunteer; hence we have no employees. So OHSA (not OSHA but serves the same purpose) has no jurisdiction. They won't investigate us no matter how hard we beg. Still their regulations make good sense and we follow them as much as possible.

Found this video which illustrates the importance of wearing a hard hat when overhead work is being performed.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Question-
I work at a school theater that has a genie lift, however they (custodians) will not let me use it because I am not a custodian. The alternate is a very wobbly and sketchy rolling A frame extension ladder. I use genies all the time at other theaters, but they won't budge on letting me use it. What is the best argument I can male with them for letting me use the Geine vs the sketchy ladder.

If they won't give you the training, get the training and certification card from your local lift rental company. Then if they continue to refuse you access, escalate the issue to the head of your buildings and grounds dept as a dire safety concern.

Most of my projects are active construction sites and the recent trend on those sites is toward "Ladders as a Last Resort". In general, working off a lift is much safer than using a ladder. If you want to use a ladder on these job sites, you have to fill out a permit request with the general contractor stating your intended use of the ladder, the type of ladder you will be using, and why you are unable to perform your work out of a lift. They restrict your use of ladders to caged ladders and platform ladders. No A-frames or extension ladders allowed, and you must be tied off above 6'.

The idea that someone without fall protection would use an 18' rolling A-frame would be unconscionable.

Question-
I work at a school theater that has a genie lift, however they (custodians) will not let me use it because I am not a custodian. The alternate is a very wobbly and sketchy rolling A frame extension ladder. I use genies all the time at other theaters, but they won't budge on letting me use it. What is the best argument I can male with them for letting me use the Geine vs the sketchy ladder.
Are you a student worker? There may be specific rule that separates you. Does the school district require individuals go through a training procedure? This is common. They could even have specific work at heights requirements that you are not following by being on the ladder, it's just not as easy to prevent its use.

Another common reason for otherwise silly rules is insurance. If you are not covered in just the right way then the answer is NO. The custodians are probably just doing what they are told. This sounds like it needs to go up the admin ladder. And those are never safe!

If they won't give you the training, get the training and certification card from your local lift rental company. Then if they continue to refuse you access, escalate the issue to the head of your buildings and grounds dept as a dire safety concern.

Most of my projects are active construction sites and the recent trend on those sites is toward "Ladders as a Last Resort". In general, working off a lift is much safer than using a ladder. If you want to use a ladder on these job sites, you have to fill out a permit request with the general contractor stating your intended use of the ladder, the type of ladder you will be using, and why you are unable to perform your work out of a lift. They restrict your use of ladders to caged ladders and platform ladders. No A-frames or extension ladders allowed, and you must be tied off above 6'.

The idea that someone without fall protection would use an 18' rolling A-frame would be unconscionable.

That's really interesting to hear about. I work in commercial construction last summer and saw some interesting working at heights practices. Glad to hear about a company taking lift/ladder safety so seriously.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When you think a short fall isn't so bad, just look at the forces involved.

This should be very helpful for climbing portable structures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back