Conventional Fixtures WTF? (Improvised two-fer)

SteveB

As part of our maintenance for stage lighting, done each August, we fix/service/clean the Dept. of Theater lighting gear. At some point during their last show, some student(s) decided it was far too much effort to go find a two-fer, of which there are plenty to be found in twist-loks. Thus they paired the 2 Altman Econo-cycs as per the photo. I had "words" with the Dept. of Theater lighting supervisor over this.

Attachments

• Econo-Pair.jpg
    Econo-Pair.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 417
I applaud their ingenuity. :clap:

Just one pair or many? I've often been dismayed at how much of a cable mess one can make when circuiting single cell fixtures. I've always longed for a power pass-thru on these, typically, 500W units.

While I probably shouldn't admit this, I've done that on more than one occasion. I've never left it like that but I have done it when pressed for cable.

What!!! I don't see anything wrong here! ;)

There are actually fewer points of failure in this construction than if a 2-fer was involved. Just sayin'.

True, although it was originally a joke...maybe I was serious...

At least it didn't involve electrical tape or bungee cords!

Thats because he had to remove the tape and bungee cord(s) to set them on the ground for the picture!

What is the problem with this? I know it's not ideal, but why shouldn't you do this?

Technically, "if" someone globed them w/ FCM(1K) bottles, then ran them too long the 15amp plug would fail.

But don't you run that risk with just about evert fixture? You would overload the two-fer with two 1K bottles just the same.

The twist plug is an old style @ 20 amps. The socket s are adjustable to handle up to a 2kw lamp, so that's problem one if the user has modified the fixture to use such a lamp, which we (in theory) don't.

Then you get into the UL listing for this connector and connectors in general where you violate the listing usage by using it as a splice point, which is why shops are no longer selling V-style two-fer s as pre-made, only Y-style. This particular connector is long de-listed for 120v, single pole use anyway, but that's a whole other issue.

Then there's the issue as to who did this ? and do they pay attention to the color coding of the connector so they don't wire up the hot to ground or some such and it was a student doing this, so problem 3.

And we have ton's of two-fers, so doing this means I now pay union scale to fix. Problem 4.

Is it illegal to wire 2 separate fixtures on one connector ?. No idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plug appears to be a NEMA L520P which is rated for 20A continuous. The bigger problem for me is that the fixtures are not mechanically connected which means the connection could be unduly stressed when the fixtures are handled. If they had a common yoke I might shudder a little less.

The plug appears to be a NEMA L520P which is rated for 20A continuous. The bigger problem for me is that the fixtures are not mechanically connected which means the connection could be unduly stressed when the fixtures are handled. If they had a common yoke I might shudder a little less.

My bad, It looked like a 15A parallel blade to me...Opps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back