XR18

BillESC

Got a last minute call to mix a band for a friend who got double booked. He emailed me the .SCN file. Nice to start the show with a dialed in mix.
proxy.php

Haven't come across the XR18 yet, or talked directly with anyone who has. Don't take offense but it looks pretty good for behringer (generally have had a very poor opinion of them, which lately has been less poor). What do you think of it??

Gotta love starting off with a good "baseplate" in many things. Pre dialed mix can save you a lot of effort especially when you don't have time for a soundcheck.

I think the fact that you can email around the show configurations and they can be loaded and operated on a disconnected control device, is a great benefit because you can become familiar with the show before you set foot in the venue. I believe all of the new "app"-based mixers allow this.

As for the XAir mixers specifically -- they look great, except that they use a different trimmed down app vs the X32 series which includes absence of VCAs. If they used the same app as the X32 I would have bought one by now.

The .SCN I received was from a M32. Having never heard or worked with the band the first set WAS the sound check. All went well and everyone was extremely happy. Here's a shot during the show.
proxy.php

Sounds like a quarter of the gigs I have done in my life. BTW, if you are looking at a X32, you owe it to yourself to check out the M32. The M32 pres are so much better sounding.

Same here, especially with the summer folk festivals I do audio for, one weekend with a string of bands (or workshops of many bands) that I may or may not of ever encountered before without any soundchecks.

Ive heard that about the M32 vs X32, but haven't yet encountered the M32 (but many X32s).

That certainly make your life easier though getting the show file emailed, and being able to look at it offline at home before hitting the venue in order to familiarize yourself.

This year at the Goderich Celtic Roots and Summfolk festivals we were among the first to use the new Roland M5000 (Which we have been calling Orca, for OHRCA for short). The biggest problem with it is the software is not yet complete, and the offline software while not ENTIRELY non-existent is not available and does not work with the software on the console (among other things that have not yet been finished). So here we were doing act after act with a console that none of use have used before (other than some time to play with it before hand in the shop and on site), with no sound checks.
The real fun was when "guest engineers" showed up and asked what the console was (yeah last minute) and saying "I don't think Ive used that console", then showing them the ropes.

You never did come back saying what you think of the XR18 itself.

There's a bit of a learning curve for an analog relic like myself. I'm finding more and more I like about it.

The M32, X32, and X-Air are all very capable, good sounding, and would seem to be second in reliability to only Yamaha digital. For most folks, I think they are the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back