Your Best Sound System

The intent of this post was to be vague to allow some room for flexibility in the interpretation.

...they have worked in or were impressed by, and then tailor a system to meet their needs in that space. A user's perspective is very different from that of an integrator when it comes to approach of system design and I wanted to welcome those different views....

These sort of posts and discussions can be interesting but also can lead to a habit of poor decision making. There is a lot to be learned (especially for the less experienced folks that might be on this forum) about the integrators view point. There is a big tendency to look at a situation and immediately jump to I like xxxx and YYY so how do I make it work in this situation, or XYXYXY who I respect likes YYY o BBB and so I should look there.

I raised this issue in another thread where I made the point that the context is important in recommendations. For the most part, products from reputable manufacturers can all sound excellent in the right situation. If this were not the case that for instance all installs or equipment selections when budget was no object would have by now moved to all the same solution. Clearly that is not the case.

The point that is easily overlooked and really is the key to a successful selection is the room and its design and what modifications are possible, and the uses of that room

So for instance using NYC as an example if I were asked what system I would recommend for Carnegie hall vs Radio City Music vs Schubert Theater vs Bitterend vs Central Park Center stage obviously they all would be very different

So in the discussion there needs to be the context, and also why the selection.

Especially since this is a "learning forum" it is easy to unconsciously set up poor practices. It is too easy to start with a list of favorite vendors and equipment and start deciding

It is like line arrays, in the right situations they are great, in the wrong, they are awful

Sharyn

Sharyn I agree with your points as they are very valid. I understand that some people viewing are learning and may jump to buy something because they see 5 people use it without giving a thoughful approach to the variables in thier specific application.

This is why I am happy that folks like yourself commit your time to the forum, because you and others can provide challenges to the posts, thus keeping it on track to be educational.......as well as fun!

I haven't had much experience so forgive if I seem ignorant

I would do a theatre appliction
one sub under sl and one under sr
fly a main on each side of stage aimed correctly
and a center speaker
stage monitors and hallway monitors for actors off stage

at foh
24 channel allen and heath or soundcraft
channel and master compression
15 band eq on channels
30 band eq on master

I don't know the major brands for individual pieces so I would ask advice from the vast knowledge available to me on CB :p

Thats almost exactly what my school has. Except we have a 48 Channel Allen and Heath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back